Perspex & magnet strips double glazing

diyer4, Jun 25, 9:24am
Has anyone done this? You buy perspex cut to window size, and then you use the magnetic strips to stick the perspex to the wooden window frame. So same principal as the 3m plastic and double sided tape basically, but with perspex and the magnetic strips.

12knights1, Jun 25, 9:30am
Did you get this idea from a reliable source? If so, may follow you.

jonners2013, Jun 25, 9:35am
it wouldn't be airtight would it?

diyer4, Jun 25, 9:41am
Just starting to investigate, it sounds a decent idea. Somewhere between the proper retro double glazing and cheap 3m plastic. I currently have the cheap 3m plastic, and it does make a difference and does stop condensation. It thought this might look better, last longer and be affordable - and not lift the paint off when you remove it.

This is where you get the magnetic strips www.artworxmagnetnz.info/
And apparently perspex is about $50sq meter, purchased elsewhere.

bluefrog2, Jun 26, 2:18am
Secondary glazing. Got something like this installed about 10 years ago. It was called "Magicseal" I think. Had to be professionally installed, and each Perspex/Vinyl sheet is in it's own frame, custom measured to fit each window.
Works well with timber frames, not so well with aluminium frames because you get massive condensation on the aluminium parts.
It's not airtight. The magnetic strip allows you to crack a space and prop it open with a pencil to dry out any condensation that gets between the sheet and glass.
The magnets on the sunny side of the house tend to fail after 10 years or so. With timber windows, the solution is simply to drill small holes through the plastic sheet and screw it directly onto the timber window frame. Again, you can't really do this with aluminium windows.

jane310567, Jun 26, 3:30am
http://www.awardplastics.co.nz/shop/HomeandGarden/Double+Glazing.html

may be useful - we had it installed in our last place but wasn't that cheap and after a few years got condensation between.

diyer4, Jun 27, 8:49pm
I think this idea is basically DIY magic seal. Interesting that you didn't find it air tight. I have the 3m cheap plastic and that is airtight and I have no condensation. So basically this is exactly the same idea, but using perspex and magnets rather than plastic film and double sided tape. I am going to cost it in the next week and can post the cost for anyone else interested. If it's fairly cost effective then it's probably worth a go. I think I can live with the magnets only lasting 10 years. Thanks for the tip on screwing it in.

alister1, Jun 28, 1:03am
Secondary glazing very good had it in 2 houses now Home Plus to see for imfo very good.

jh34, Dec 4, 4:43pm
I've also had it for about 10 years and condensation between the original aluminium window and the perspex is a problem. You can see it in the mornings.