Dismantling Aluminium door for glazing

atlantis3, May 7, 9:30pm
I need to replace the bottom panel in a garage side door. There are no glazing bars so the door needs to come apart to insert the glass.
I was hoping it is just a matter of removing the door, taking the bottom of the door off and sliding the glass in and then reassembling. The corners are mitered (45 degrees).
It is an old door. Is it just screws that need to be taken out or do they put an insert in to join the sections?

krames, May 7, 9:34pm
no rubbers?

gabbysnana, May 7, 9:37pm
How old. Just replaced a bottom panel glass on 1979 ali front door. Inserts clipped out after some work by the glass man. You wouldnt have known that they did come out. Come out in a sequence as well.

atlantis3, May 7, 9:56pm
So no screws and did he just take the bottom piece off?
It is probably at least as old as your door 1970s perhaps

atlantis3, May 7, 9:58pm
krames wrote:
no rubbers?[/quote

Yes there are rubbers but the glass needs to be slipped in (Ie take the door apart) It is called wrap-around glazing - or something like that

supernova2, May 7, 10:47pm
Can you post a picture?
Most of the wrap around style were held together by screws. They will probably break off when you try to remove them so be prepared to drill bits out and replace screws etc. Don't damage the rubber as I don't think you can get it any more.

Next problem will be that to comply with the rules you probably have to use some form of safety glass which will be thicker than what's in there now. I don't know how you can actually do that as the frame wont take it.
www.wanz.org.nz/download/Human%20Impact%20Safety_PRINT.pdf

atlantis3, May 7, 11:04pm
I was actually just replacing the bottom panel with an aluminium panel
The rubbers are long gone. So will need to find something to replace these.
I can post a picture in a couple of days.

supernova2, May 7, 11:06pm
Ah in that case I'd just get the panel in place and then use a decent silicone to fill the gap.
Or if you can get a wedge rubber the right size you could just wedge the outside. If its tight enough it wont leak or move.

briantamaki-god, Nov 12, 1:18pm
if the corners are mitred there should be 2 little screws remove those in the hole then in the side there will be a bigger screw and more often than not it will be a flat screw not phillips remove that use the biggest flat screwdriver that will go in hole plenty of pressure downwards to crack it
now measure the vertical side
once both screws in sides are removed hit the bottom section downwards and it will drop out
now measure horizontal side
cut panel and slide up after wetting the rubber with a spray bottle with dish washing detergent
clean wheels if they came out when the bottom came off they could be star wheels that stay in bottom rail just clean the dust and grime dont spray with crc etc it will collect dust quicker
then just reasemble use a wedge rubber not silicone you can get from glaziers or para rubber the correct width use the spray bottle again with the handle of a screw drier to put rubber in bigger fins to panel
oops just reread and its not a slider so just disregard the wheel advice lol