Retro Double Glazing Costs

rai5, Jul 10, 4:24pm
Who has had this done in the eastern Waikato area? Who did it? What sort of cost would we be looking at for a small 3 bedroom home? We have thought about maybe just getting the bedrooms done. Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

shanreagh, Jul 10, 4:52pm
Unless your bedrooms are on the coldest side of the house I would not get them done first. I started with rooms on the coldest (south) side Kitchen 1986 and two bedrooms 2003 & 2018, then east dining room 2003 and 2018, and east windows around a door 2018, then west one bedroom 2003 and upstairs lounge2018 . Yet to do bathroom (west facing) but will do once it is renovated, or one bedroom and lounge both north and west facing. May never do these.

They don't all have to be double glazed glass, In fact i would do the coldest ones in glass and others that are not so cold in secondary glazing ie optical acrylic.

tweake, Jul 10, 6:39pm
whats the window condition like?
if in poor condition or the seals are bad, then it would pay to fix that first.
no point spending money on glazing if the windows let cold air in around them.

amasser, Jul 10, 6:58pm
Depends on you contacting the supplier and telling them what joinery you have (wooden or aluminium), size of windows and what level you want. Our guesses will be meaningless.

rai5, Jul 10, 7:34pm
We have aluminium as house built in 1996. No poor seals, we just wonder if it would be warmer in winter with double glazing in the bedrooms especially as they are on west side or house.

shanreagh, Jul 10, 7:52pm
? In Wellington west facing is sunny and north facing is extra sunny. Why would you need to start with sunny windows. South especially or east would be my pick for a start. Are your west facing bedroom windows obscured by vegetation or topography?

rai5, Jul 10, 8:04pm
We actually don't have any south facing windows and the west ones don't get much sun in winter as it is so low by the time it gets round to that side of the house.

tweake, Jul 10, 8:16pm
even at that age i would still check.
it may not actually be noticeable just by looking.
on a windy day put some smoke next to the window. incense candle etc (just don't set fire to the curtains). it makes it very easy to see where air is coming in.

r.g.nixon, Jul 10, 8:16pm
I heard an advert a day or two ago. Apparently 3M have a new(ish) product that sticks to your window and is almost clear. Meant to be somewhat insulating I think. off to google it.

r.g.nixon, Jul 10, 8:19pm
Maybe this it it. Don't see how it would insulate though. www.bunnings.co.nz/3m-window-insulator-kit-5-windows_p00167658

Bubble-wrap would probably work better, but not look that great.

hazelnut2, Jul 11, 7:36am
Sticks to your window FRAMES and creates a layer of insulating air between the film and the glass. This product works very well and I have done most of my house!

hazelnut2, Jul 11, 7:37am
Bubble wrap doesn't work better. Have tried both. This film is almost totally transparent, only the fold lines and any wrinkles not removed by the hair dryer show up. The insulation factor is created by the GAP of air in between the plastic and the glass. My minimum gap is 5mm. But 20mm is much better. As long as the film isn't touching the glass there is no heat/cold transfer.

BUT it isn't permanent like glass would be.

From previous retro double glazing experience in another house I guestimated it would cost around 30-40 thousand to double glaze this house which has over 70 windows panes. I've done it for around $400. After all that effort I decided I wasn't going to take it down each year ( as it says on the box) but only repair when necessary!

martin11, Jul 11, 8:05am
Our house in Rangiora was built in the same year as your and we have has the aluminium windows reglazed to double and it made a huge difference to the inside temp. All of the seals were replaced and the beads in the fixed panel , but the sash windows needed total sash replacement .
Ring around and get some quotes for what you need .

rai5, Oct 21, 3:03pm
Thanks everyone. Today we brought the 3M kit and will do one room first to test it. Hubbie is a very competent handyman and so one room will be a good indication of the advantages.