Double glazing - feeling it wasn't worth it.

Page 1 / 2
anchored, Jul 19, 2:05am
Sitting close to my newly installed double glazed stacking doors - seems to be colder than the single glazed ones. I am sure I can feel cold radiating off them, onto my legs.
So annoyed as I thought I did such alot of homework before deciding to put them in. (Yes aluminium because it matches existing). I now see I (perhaps) could have just put in low-e glass for similiar benefits - none of the aluminium companies I asked made any mention of this.
Trying to get information from them was like pulling teeth - wish I had asked some of the building companies their advice first.

johotech, Jul 19, 3:20am
You're never going to be able to "feel" much difference with double glazing. The idea is for a slight increase in efficiency, over a long period of time - which saves on heating costs.

If you wanted to replace the doors anyway, there wouldn't have been a huge difference in cost to go double or extra for low-e.

I'm not sure if you think that "low-e" was an option for replacing the glass in your old door? Generally it is only an option for double glazing.

Here are the "R" values for various window types. Compare these to about R2.0, for an insulated wall and you will see why you can't feel the difference in the glazing.

Standard aluminium window frame R value:
Single Original single glazing (clear glass) 0.15
Double Clear glass (air-filled IGU) 0.26
Double Low-e glass (argon-filled IGU) 0.33

I would suggest good thermal curtains.

anchored, Jul 19, 3:29am
Oh thank you - that does make me feel somewhat better. I was replacing (doors for a window) but no one suggested one lot of glass be low -e. I am in the process of getting the right length curtains installed.

maclad, Jul 19, 3:36am
I put a house lot of thermals in my daughters house ready for this winter and she has been much warmer even though she has large house with high ceilings and tries not to use expensive heating, so they must do the job.

andy61, Jul 19, 3:47am
I changed my windows from single to double glazing with argon gas, totally different feeling thru out the house, way less cold coming off the glass, some nights we have to open a window or door to let some heat out as it can get rather warm(we use a log burner).The info I got mentioned up to 70% heat can be lost out thru single glazed windows and I believe that was the case here before the DG was installed.

wine-o-clock, Jul 19, 4:14am
the aluminium frames give off a lot of coolness

hilt_dwane, Jul 19, 4:28am
We have low-e with double glazing. I was aware that special care needed to be taken when cleaning low-e so made enquiries. It is on the surface that is not touched (between the two panes). If you had single glaze with low-e you would forever have the extra care hassle when it came to cleaning

macandrosie, Jul 19, 4:35am
Gee we wish we could do our whole house! Had the bathroom window done earlier this year & what a difference when you walk into the room! There was an instant change in temperature! We will do all our south windows as we can afford to) (poor hard up dairy farmers this season!) Definitely need double glazing in Southland & today!

anchored, Jul 19, 5:09am
That's for sure - and there is alot of it!

captaingraham, Jul 19, 5:26am
I would suggest good thermal curtains. Same here.

annies3, Jul 19, 5:40am
We replaced French single glazed doors for double glazed ranch slider, made an enormous improvement, no draughts as there was for the French doors either.

gabbysnana, Jul 19, 5:55am
You have to pic the heaviest glass 10m which is the dearest. And thermal break ali. I have tinted and hush glass.

budgel, Jul 19, 6:42am
Cold doesnt radiate like heat does, cold is just the absence of heat.
'Radiated' cold is probably a draught.

bill1451, Jul 19, 9:42am
oh dear, rubs thumb abd forefinger together? Worlds smallest violin

bergkamp, Jul 19, 10:01am
psychological . you think the room will be warmer from the double glazing so you feel warmer by 50% . when in reality its only .5%

racmac21, Jul 19, 10:09am
WE have put in double glazing retro fitted to wooden windows. but we got PVC instead of aluminium due to the thermal properties of PVC is better. we got the argon filled stuff. LOVE OUR WINDOWS

mack77, Jul 19, 10:11am
Yes, basically you are correct. The person feels cold because of the lack of infrared radiation. Remember, thermal (heat) energy always travels from a warm mass to a cold mass; not the reverse.

marte, Jul 19, 11:21am
I talked to a german tourist glazier.
He mentioned that they either have double glazed, or triple glazed windows in their houses and don't even need to heat them in winter.
Theres enough body heat being given off by the people inside to keep the house warm.

hazelnut2, Jul 19, 9:35pm
I believe cold radiates! My large kitchen box bay window is single glazed, but draughtproof, yet when I cover it with bubble wrap, the cold feeling from the window stops immediately! I also cover the frames, as the alu really is a good conductor.

From my experience "Thermally broken" Alu frames don't work! :(

pestri, Jul 19, 9:46pm
1000w/hr is the std used for ventilation calcs.

jonners2013, Jul 19, 10:16pm
yep double glazing is not new. people have been double glazing homes in Europe for decades.

survivalkiwi, Jul 20, 7:07am
I can remember putting in double glazed windows in houses in Christchurch during the early 80s when I was doing my apprentiship.

fendie, Jul 20, 8:09am
I would love wooden frames for my double glazing, I have aluminium and the frames are cold to touch. I assume they do not have a "thermal break" which I understand means that the cold cannot be transmitted from one part of the frame to the next, because there is a non conducting barrier between them, eg plastic. I assumed that it worked well.

jonners2013, Jul 20, 8:26am
sure, but even into the 2000's the majority of houses being built were still using single glazing.

mack77, Jul 21, 9:17am
I think that you will find that the walls of their houses are thicker and much better insulated than ours. We mainly build houses with walls so thin that you can't fit much insulation in them i.e. only 90mm or 140mm at the most.