Removing garage door and installing a ranchslider

familiadude1, Jul 13, 4:27pm
Rubbish I did this to our old place with an internal single garage. I emailed the council and asked if consent was required to put a ranchslider in where the garage door was. I got an email back saying that it is not required. I even sold the property like that(listed as a rumpus) without any issues as technically it is still a garage and was not a bedroom.

articferrit, Jul 13, 4:55pm
I converted a single, internal access garage to a bedroom in Christchurch 2 years ago and no consent was needed.

phoenix22, Jul 14, 8:06am
I emailed the council, the work doesn't need consent, so that's promising. Will talk to our builder buddy who is going to do the work and go from there

thank you everyone for your suggestions. I am still hoping to do this on the cheap, but if I cant, I'll get the door made to suit.

familiadude1, Jul 14, 9:11am
Just to give you an idea when we did ours the price for a new custom ranchslider with double glazing and two opening windows was about 3.5k from memory.

tegretol, Jul 14, 6:36pm
The OP said nothing about chaging it into a habitable area for gods sake - they said GAMES ROOM.

Unless you want a huge bill and a prolonged delay, just get on and do it.

phoenix22, Jul 9, 11:33am
hi everyone, after some general advice. We have converted half of our 4 car garage into a games room. We want to remove the existing garage door on that side, in favour of putting in a ranchslider. the exterior cladding is concrete block.

My question is, do we get a slider that fits the existing gap, and the slider then get bolted straight to the exterior(with relevant waterproofing etc)? or is something else needed that I may not be factoring in?

Essentially, the gap is 2900 wide, so do I go for a ranchslider that is also 2900 wide?

I ask, as we are looking at second hand ranchsliders to help keep the cost down, and don't want to get the wrong size. Will be getting a builder to install it when we do get one

articferrit, Jul 9, 12:01pm
ask the builder you are going to use, or just ask a friendly one, it still gives you time to shop around for one before you want to install it, you might need to allow for a lintel etc.

budgel, Jul 9, 12:30pm
If you are going to do it yourself get the aluminium joinery company to come and measure up. They will probably be able to give advice on the installation too.

kacy5, Jul 9, 1:31pm
Builder son measured up one for me and fitted it, no need for the Aluminium Co to come out if you have a friendly builder handy.

martin11, Jul 9, 3:41pm
I do this sort of work all the time and you are best to get the correct sized one for the existing hole but make sure the garage has a lintel about the door opening .

gabbysnana, Jul 9, 9:36pm
you need an exemption from your local council to do this, even thou it's a schedule 1. Changing a garage into a habitable area can be a breach of your councils district plan.

phoenix22, Jul 10, 8:17am
thanks for that. I will contact the council.

budgel, Jul 10, 9:51am
I wouldnt, remember that it is easier to ask forgiveness than permission.
The council will make an expensive bureaucratic nightmare out of it, given that you have already done most of the work.

phoenix22, Jul 10, 10:03am
the room is very much a garage still, just with garage carpet, non structural wall between this and the other half of the garage, a coat of paint, and a few games and such. Remove the pool table and air hockey table, and you could park a car in there again.

But yes, I agree about the council making life difficult. Nothing is ever easy with them

onl_148, Jul 10, 11:51am
Contact your bank manager first. to make sure you have access to enough money to pay for the council consent !

nukhelenc, Jul 10, 12:14pm
Ya hardly gonna find one that will fit the hole properly.
I can never understand why people wanna fit other peoples rubbish Getting one made is the best and fastest way to fit it.
Ya should get one made to fit the hole and have the person about the day its measured up that's gonna fit it so everyone's on the same page.

trade4us2, Jul 10, 3:15pm
If you are removing a garage door with a spring on it, be aware that you can be severely injured if you just unscrew the spring fastenings.

gabbysnana, Jul 10, 5:54pm
$240? For an exemption to schedule one?

differentthings, Oct 14, 12:58pm
we did the same about 15 years ago. Got one made to fit the hole as it was cheaper than filling in a gap if it wasn't the right size of the original garage door.