Garage door

elect70, Feb 15, 9:28am
im replacing the 2 siingle tilta doors with 1 sectional roller door. So what will i need to support the header wooden beam in place of the centre support that wil lbe removed . the beam is 2pieces & the centre ends sit on top of the centre support of 2x 100x50 studs .

budgel, Feb 15, 10:11am
If it is a metal garage with a truss like in the rest of the garage roof, then ex 100x50 framing will be sufficient.
If that is not the case, then you need to determine whether that centre support was structural, and if it is, get a specific lintel for the opening size. This would be consented work.

nzshooter01, Feb 15, 12:21pm
As above
And if you now have to support say a 5mtr opening it wont be a cheap execise

p.monro, Feb 15, 2:34pm
I guess from your description that the roof is tin and is a gable end. I suppose that the gable end is clad with tin.
Now the roof on a gable end is supported by the truss or rafters under it and provided there is a good ceiling joist to stop the walls spreading apart, there is little load carried by the header timber. Instead, The header timber will need to be supported from sag by attachment to the gable truss.
Try it . Put your car jack on a prop near the central post and jack it up.
Then slowly remove the central post and slowly lower the jack.
If it sags a lot, say more than 10mm, you will need to think about it

budgel, Feb 16, 10:55am
The problem is that some gable ends are not structural trusses, but just have simple framing because they are supported underneath.
The triangulation is the strength.
Upon further thought, it may be possible to brace the gable end by installing structural plywood on its inside face, but this probably wouldnt get through the consent process without specific design.

nzshooter01, Feb 16, 6:06pm
Pity we dont know if its a gable roof or a hip roof ,

budgel, Feb 17, 5:45pm
True that! I made an assumption based on the tilta doors often being on gable roofed Garages.

elect70, Feb 20, 11:30am
Yes its a triangle gable roof built in 60 s the 150mm x 150 beam has a ply face on 1side my plan is to put 500x150 3mm steel plate each side of join with 8 16mm bolts

nzshooter01, Aug 16, 5:55pm
So this join is the area where the two lintels now sit on the 100x50 frameing between the 2 doors?im picking if the house was built in the 60's it may not even have a trussed roof?
If ive got a handel what i think you are going to do id say it wont be up to standard, your metal plates wont increase the load bearing of your now bigger opening atall, thats my opinion so worth what it cost,
A 5mtr or so opening in a new house would have at least a 300x100 lintel oover it