Garage door lubrication

luvthebikes, Dec 1, 7:39am
My auto garage door is making more noise in tracks than it used to, what type of lubricant should I use in tracks if any?

pommyjohn1, Dec 1, 7:42am
I use the CRC Silicone spray

pc_uncorrect, Dec 1, 7:53am
Grease (lithium grease), CRC white lithium grease (supercheap auto, bunnings, mitre10)

neillo1, Dec 1, 7:53am
Yep - CRC as well.

mm12345, Dec 1, 8:18am
What sort of door?
Only roller doors need the tracks lubed (silicone is good for this). Don't lube the tracks on a tilt or sectional.

On a sectional, lube hinges, wheel axles, and give a good spray over the spring(s) with CRC marine grade.
On a tilt, lube arm pivot bush, the hinge/bush where the arm attaches to the door, locks (if manual), top of the spring, and a squirt on the hook on the bottom of the spring with the samne CRC as above. You could give a squirt to the wheel axle/bearing. Use the same Marine grade CRC as above.
Never lube the pole for auto openers.

luvthebikes, Dec 1, 8:23am
Sectional, so you shouldn't lube then?

mm12345, Dec 1, 8:30am
Sorry - edited as above.
Yes - lube the hinges and wheel axles. Check while you're doing this that there aren't loose/missing tek screws on any of the hinges. Spray the springs - a good squirt so it works it's way around the coil as it winds up and unwinds. They get pretty noisy when they're dirty and/or have a bit of surface rust, Use CRC - the marine stuff lasts longer/better/heavier duty than the red stuff (5-56), or you can get special garage door lube at hardware shops

luvthebikes, Dec 1, 8:57am
Great thanks

marte, Dec 1, 1:06pm
Use the proper lubricant, what it says in the book for the door.

Someone I know who fits these says the most common reason why they stop working is wrong lubricant.
If its say 'lithium grease' then use only lithium grease.
But read the manual first.

luvthebikes, Dec 2, 7:15am
Haven't got the manual otherwise I wouldn't be asking

mm12345, Jul 15, 12:11pm
I bet (or hope) he doesn't carry lithium grease in his truck.
Someone I know (rather too well) would agree that incorrect (or lack of) lubrication is certainly an issue, but possibly one of the most frequent issues is that some of the guys who install them in the first place don't do a very good job.