Replacing wooden outside door with aluminium

rose-murray, May 29, 11:22pm
is it possible to hang an aluminium door in a wooden frame ? If not, how do I measure the frame to find out what size the whole thing should be ? Or, can you place the aluminium frame within the existing frame so that you don't have to remove it.

ceebee2, May 29, 11:46pm
Just remove the facings and measure outside of frame. I would recommend you get the aluminium door people to measure. that way any errors are theirs.

rose-murray, May 29, 11:52pm
Thanks, I was hoping to buy a second hand door. We have an extremely tight budget.

zak410, May 30, 2:53am
It would be very lucky to find a second hand door that fit perfectly an existing frame, and being aluminium makes it difficult to modify/adjust.

Your best bet is to find an aluminium door and frame to replace, (measure as explained at #2),
or to find a wooden door of similar size and making it fit your existing frame.

nukhelenc, May 30, 6:12am
If your door opens in, then stay on the inside and measure the width of the door panel itself. Then add 70mm
So if ya door panel is 860mm wide then + 70 and bingo =930 over all width and you wouldn't want anything wider.
Then the height
Measure off the floor to top of swinging door panel then add 35mm. If you want it flush with the floor add another 20mm.
So
20mm for flooring + 1980mm + 35mm = 2035mm high over all.
If you want it on top of flooring deduct 20mm from the height.
This will work for a timber floor, and maybe concrete.
Its a very close ball park that will work.
So if you work from these sizes the outside width between the wall cladding must be grater than 970mm for the door to fit between what ever as i cant see anything.
If you have carpet and door opens over the top of it do not add the 20mm in height.
Thats as good as i can get, cos really its almost endless on what ifs etc

nukhelenc, May 30, 6:24am
Another way to measure is, if your door opens in (INTO YOUR HOUSE), then stand outside and close the door, then measure in between timber ( with door closed ) then add 90mm

At my post #5, im talking about fitting an aluminium door with revels into the old hole.

rose-murray, Dec 27, 7:51am
Thank you for both your posts. very helpful.