Is $2,200 expensive for a garage door?

mrsbeeblebrock, Nov 17, 2:58am
Our new house has a broken garage door, which was only ever manual. We want to get a new door that we can open remotely.

Only one company replied to my quote request and has quoted just under $2,200. The electrician to install the power point would be additional.

Is that about right for a single garage door to be removed and replaced and for a motor to be installed? Or should I keep hunting other quotes?

gabbysnana, Nov 17, 3:52am
Depends what your door is, if its tilta or sectional someones screwing with you. To put a dominator motor and its centre track it was about $600 all up.

mm12345, Nov 17, 6:29am
What's "broken" with the existing door?

cagivachick1, Nov 17, 6:43am
20 years ago i paid $1500 for a 4.m long tilta door with a motor

mtbotrev, Nov 17, 7:44am
keep hunting

survivalkiwi, Nov 17, 5:35pm
I just paid $3200 for a double insulated sectional door with an auto opener installed.

mrsbeeblebrock, Nov 18, 9:30am
this is dominator, 3m wide, roller.

existing door wont stay shut, has no motorand no handle.

price includes installation.

mm12345, Nov 18, 10:45am
Not staying closed is possibly incorrect spring tension . A handle shouldn't be an issue to fit - if needed. Some repairers don't like working on them and installing auto openers because they can be a can of worms, and ideally it's a two-man job to fit an auto unit - most repairers are single person operations. Try calling Windsor doors. Their auto units for rollers are good/quiet/easy to set up. If the door is in okay condition, then I wouldn't replace it. If it is okay, and you can find a repairer/installer, then you'll save yourself $1500 or so.

dinx, Nov 19, 6:38am
Seeing its being discussed, how horrific might it be to replace the door only of a working roller elec one. All works but the door itself has split almost the entire width of a single garage door.

We don't open it unless essential in case it won't close again or the edge spits. But all the electrics etc are fine. Friend was gonna look at welding it, but because its roller we don't know if that will hold and handle the flexing.

mrsbeeblebrock, Nov 19, 7:56am
Oh the existing door is hideous looking as well as being impossible to open/close. We have accepted the quote. Some handy type people could likely save money by DIY but for us ease and efficiency is worth it.

vomo2, Nov 19, 7:58am
Paid $1500 for colour steel tilt a door 9 months ago including installation.

mrsbeeblebrock, Nov 19, 6:28pm
We chose roller which was more expensive because it doesn't need to use the garage ceiling and we can then use the space for storage.

mullett_007, Jul 27, 3:04pm
We paid around that for a new sectional door. I only got one quote despite ringing several places. Only one company was interested.