Dishwasher uses cold or hot connection?

wine-o-clock, Jun 26, 4:21pm
they heat their own water

trade4us2, Jun 26, 4:23pm
Well the water is hot now, but why would it add the soap and wash in cold water for20 minutes?

trade4us2, Jun 26, 4:24pm
All my old dishwashers have used a hot connection, thus not using lots of power at peak times.

msigg, Jun 26, 4:50pm
Cold Water

johotech, Jun 26, 5:10pm
If it only has one connection, use cold water. Some older model F&P had two connections for hot and cold, but none of the newer dishwashers use hot water.

trade4us2, Jun 26, 6:02pm
So the manual has 30 pages and does not make it clear that it needs cold water.

harm_less, Jun 26, 6:16pm
The Asko we had a few years ago had hot and cold connection which is one of the reasons we bought it as we had solar hot water. Asko reliability was the primary consideration.

marte, Jun 26, 7:11pm
Dishwashers either heat their own water, or use hot water.
Advantages with heating the cold water is that it can start cleaning with cold & then heat it as it goes.
It only needs one water connection.
It dosnt use much more hot water than a normal sink anyway.

Advantages with it using hot water. You can utilise the cheaper hotwater because of night rate electricity, solar, or gas/wetback etc.
Its quicker.

fast4motion, Jun 26, 7:25pm
Another advantage of heating it's own water is that it can get the water hotter than many hotwater outlets, so is better for cleaning oil and grease etc.

johotech, Jun 26, 9:37pm
Except of the hot water take 30-60 seconds to reach the connection where the dishwasher is. By that time the dishwasher is already at its fill level, and the hot water in the pipe is wasted.

johotech, Jun 26, 9:39pm
That's a good point. But even if the tap water isn't hot enough, the dishwasher will heat it to the correct temperature anyway.

There's really very little to be gained by connecting a dishwasher to the hot water connection. I'm pretty sure there is Consumer tests to prove it doesn't save any money anyway.

trade4us2, Jun 26, 9:51pm
Several sites say that hot water may damage the valve, so not to use hot.
My new dishwasher says that the temperature should not be higher than 60 degrees.

Since we have all these clever people in here, how come many flood switches look just like an ordinary microswitch, and why would it need replacing if the water level is too high? Does the switch get water in it? That doesn't make sense. I have 30 microswitches here already.

perfectimages, Jun 26, 10:07pm
The "manual" that you are looking at is probably the "owners" manual.
The "Installation" manual may be a different beast.
F&P have both manuals.(one is an Installation manual and the other an Owners .manual

marte, Jun 27, 12:00am
If the tube going up to the level switch is blocked, it might overflow.

Has it had dishwasher cleaner put thru it like it should have? I found this a lot when scrapping down washing machines.

pauldw, Jun 27, 7:16am
The initial cold fill is better at cleaning some raw food off mixing bowls etc.

trade4us2, Jun 27, 8:53am
I suspect that the "flood switch" has activated, but nobody is able to tell us how a flood switch works or what it looks like. And as I have said, water went into the dishwasher because the drain outside was blocked, so I will be throwing away a good dishwasher for no good reason.

lythande1, Jun 27, 9:08am
marte wrote:
Dishwashers either heat their own water, or use hot water.

Advantages with it using hot water. You can utilise the cheaper hotwater /quote]
No.
It's in fact cheaper for it to heat it's own, that's why dishwashers - and a lot of modern washing machines only have the cold connection now.

pauldw, Jun 27, 9:28am
Several brands have a float switch that resets when you remove the water. If it doesn't reset it could be that the float is stuck either because pivot is sticking or something has got under the float. You were saying that it was years old. I wouldn't be surprised if things like waterpump seals and flexible hoses were close to failing by now. This last thing you want is hot water with dishwashing detergent leaking out of it.

msigg, Jun 27, 11:43am
Pull it out and tip it over so the water will spill out of the overflow tray, the switch will reset.

trade4us2, Jun 27, 5:38pm
That was the first thing I did.

perfectimages, Jun 27, 7:15pm
Well, was it successful?

pamow69, Jun 27, 8:29pm
There is a polystyrene float in the base tray which will float up on amy water leaked into the tray. The float trips the arm on the microswitch and that starts the drain pump running and all wash actions to cease. You don't replace the microswitch. Just remove the water from the tray and reseat the float. Then things go back to normal unless you do have a leak somewhere then the float will rise again.

tegretol, Jul 15, 6:53am
Not all. Our Bosch has both hot and cold inputs.