Wellington - too cold to pain inside?

trogedon, Sep 23, 1:39pm
Lots of people with a pain inside in Wellington. Some of them will be Politicians tonight!

timbo69, Sep 24, 8:19pm
My painters used diesel heaters while painting inside, they had the rooms pretty hot! Paint was touch dry within an hour.

My concern was around the fumes, they were not worried.

monsieurl, Sep 25, 9:09am
What a lame fact. so they get to Wellington after already passing over the entire south island. cool story bro!

lissie, Sep 19, 9:33am
We have a west facing room that needs painting. Wellington we're still getting single digit overnight temperatures - is it too cold to be painting inside (acrylic?) What's the minimum temp I should be looking for ?

rbd, Sep 19, 10:37am
Heater?

lissie, Sep 19, 12:37pm
Would during the day only be OK - I thought paint had to be kept over a certain temp for a while after application - obviously don't want to run heaters 24/7 !

samanya, Sep 19, 1:27pm
It usually says on the paint tin.

rednicnz, Sep 19, 4:24pm
Just finished painting the lounge window frames. It needs to be over 10 degrees during the drying time which will be longer if it's cold or humid.

Pick a sunny day where the minimum temp has been over 10 (better if it's over 12) so you know you're starting out warm enough and go for it. Our north facing lounge got up to 20 degrees the days I was painting with a bit of sun. A thermometer can help you decide!

sanders4, Sep 19, 6:28pm
The interesting fact about Wellington is that the southerlies come from Antarctica which is a very dry wind from ice, so a low temperature but no humidity should be ok for painting but as rbd quotes above just use a heater to help drying.

hulloitsme, Sep 19, 11:00pm
The important thing is the "dew point" temperature of what you're painting. This is the temperature at which water vapour in the air will condense on the surface. Or, looking at it another way, wet paint won't dry, lol.
If your inside temperature isn't less than 10 deg, what you could do is use a fan to speed up drying time. A breeze in a room really does speed up drying time and you should easily have touch-dry in about 2 hours.

docsportello, Mar 19, 5:14pm
It's never too cold to be in pain. I find pain inside is often colder and more painful than pain outside.