Fridge freezer cold but not freezing

shaun16, Jun 11, 5:19pm
yesterday morning I got up and the freezer was half thawed out. left it all day and could hear it turning on and off like normal but 24 hours later its only running about as cold as the fridge. as far as I know there's not temperature adjustment like for the fridge part. the fan is spinning in it, its just not getting cold enough. have tried vacuuming around the back but it didn't help. its almost 7 years old so not sure if its worth getting looked at or just buying a new one? any ideas

shaun16, Jun 11, 5:21pm
It was $1050 when purchased. I imagine if I get it looked at it could be a few hundred to look at/repair?

It sounds like your freezer is on the fritz! While it's always tempting to just throw in the towel and buy a new appliance, there are a few things you can try before taking that drastic step.

First off, make sure the freezer is not overloaded with food - this can cause the temperature to rise and prevent it from getting cold enough. You may need to remove some items and give it time to cool down.

If that doesn't help, try checking the door seal - if it's loose or damaged, cold air could be escaping and preventing the freezer from reaching the proper temperature.

Another potential culprit could be the condenser coils - if they're dirty or clogged with dust, the freezer won't be able to cool properly. Try cleaning them with a soft brush or vacuum cleaner.

If none of these solutions work, it may be time to call in a professional to take a closer look. Depending on the age and condition of the freezer, it may be more cost-effective to have it repaired rather than replaced.

Of course, if all else fails, there's always the option of treating yourself to a shiny new freezer. Just be sure to dispose of the old one responsibly - we don't want any abandoned appliances cluttering up the neighborhood!

shaun16, Jun 11, 5:21pm
its a fisher and paykel elba. not sure on model though

kaddiew, Jun 11, 8:44pm
You definitely should have temperature control for the freezer part - my 16 year old F&P has it on the back wall. You press the left hand = button to change between fridge and freezer, then arrow up and down to alter the temperature.

The model no for mine is on a sticker on the inside bottom edge of the freezer. Or, just google a manual for any elba model.

johotech, Jun 11, 9:08pm
From your description, it sounds like it is not defrosting. Either the defrost element or one of the sensors or controller isn't working properly.

If you want to check, you would have to leave it turned off for 24+hrs with the doors open until it fully defrosted, then turn it on again. If it works fine for a day or two then does the same, it will be the defrost.

Just be careful as when it defrosts it could spill a litre or two of water on the floor.

Repair could be a few hundred or so at least. I'm not up on the costs exactly.

shaun16, Jun 11, 9:17pm
I've taken everything out of the freezer. unfortunately I cant turn it off as the fridge part is needed. it did seem like stuff was starting to freeze again but im not going to trust it with expensive stuff.

johotech, Jun 11, 9:21pm
Then stop wasting time on here and call a service company, or buy a new one. It won't get better by itself.

shaun16, Jun 11, 9:25pm
well the model is rf240b. it only says about adjusting the fridge temp and nothing about the freezer.

shaun16, Jun 11, 9:36pm
I would get it fixed or replaced but the mrs doesn't want to. so im trying to see if I can do anything myself. I found a temperature thing on the back of it at the bottom but I cant see how to adjust it

cantabman1, Jun 11, 11:16pm
It may well be a gas leak, but I would get a serviceman to check it out as 7 yrs is not old for a fridge/freezer. I certainly would not replace it at this early stage without professional advise.

johotech, Jun 12, 12:49am
Call a service company. It's broken and unless you're an appliance tech, or an electrician, or somehow know how to read the wiring diagram and have test equipment, then you aren't going to be able to fix it.

tahnasha, Jun 13, 12:32am
I had this same problem a couple of weeks ago. Sometimes all the ice get clogged up but you can't see it. I emptied it out, luckily I had another fridge freezer as a backup, and left it off for 2 days. I put a towel under the front to catch water. Switched it back on and it's working fine now.

shaun16, Jun 13, 3:17am
this seems to be what was wrong with mine. I pulled the back off it yesterday and cleaned the ice buildup. I don't want to speak to soon but so far its running fine now!

cantabman1, Jun 13, 5:11am
shaun16 wrote:
this seems to be what was wrong with mine. I pulled the back off it yesterday and cleaned the ice buildup. I don't want to speak to soon but so far its running fine now![/quote
If it is an ice build up that caused your problem, then you will need to leave it empty for at least two days to melt all the internal ice, otherwise you will get the same problem again.

johotech, Jun 13, 6:26am
Ok well get back to us in a few days if it's not working again. Then you can refer back to #7 or #11.

shakespeare6, Dec 17, 3:50pm
Sounds like the defrost cycle is not working, every 24 hours for around 10-20 mins the defrost cycle comes on this consists of an element in the freezer mounting on the cooling tube a mechanical timer clicks around and switches the defrost time on and off, some times these timers fail causing the freezer to freeze up. You can test the cycle by locating the frost timer and turning it till it clicks to the defrost cycle and check that the element heats and then switches off.