Venetian Blinds fitted and Made Professionally.

hound31, Nov 4, 9:32am
Has anyone had this done? I have quite a big double glazed window that doesn't quite fit the cheaper venetian blinds I have put up in the rest of the house. The only alternative is one that sits within the frame and I'm not game to do that and possible void the guarantee by cracking the frame or inadvertently putting the drill through the glass! I know my limits when it comes to DIY lol.
I'm thinking of contacting a curtain company and getting a quote but wondered if anyone else had done it and if it was horribly expensive? I know it's a "how long is a piece of string" question but just pondering and thought I'd ask others. window is approximately 2.2 wide 1.2 high.

alston, Nov 4, 9:50am
Expensive is a perception! I had a large room done professionally, 7 blinds including a ranch slider and was very pleased. They were done last year and collectively came to between 3-4,000, I forget the exact cost.

hound31, Nov 4, 11:10am
Lol, my bank account doesn't like perceptions. thanks anyway.

lissie, Nov 4, 11:13am
Used these guys some years ago https://www.rodsandblinds.co.nz/ - direct from the factory 1/2 the price you're pay through a shop. You have to measure and install yourself - but well worth it. You could always hire some one to install if you are not confident. We didnt' do ventions but have their sun filter blinds and normal blinds and they are still good 5 years later

harm_less, Nov 4, 11:40am
From my years of experience as a venetian blind cleaner and repairer I know that all are not created equal. The plastics ones that are sold by the likes of the Warehouse are cheap but very short life expectancy with no stare parts availability - I quickly learnt not to touch them.

Of the wide range of aluminium ones the higher price ones have thicker slatting and higher quality componentry. They pay for themselves in the long run. FWIK you still can't go past Luxaflex/Weathermaster for quality and durability. Those two brands are essentially identical and come from the same factory. A piece of advice is to avoid the perforated version as they 'eat' drawcords if raised and lowered regularly as the perforations and drawcord slots make for some very sharp edges for the cord to run against.

hound31, Nov 4, 12:33pm
Thanks for that:) Oops there are cheapies in the rest of the house (needed a quick fix in the rest of the house for privacy, and it was a mission to install with old bullnose? cottage windows). I'll just see how they go lol. I think the place I'm looking at in Dunedin installs the brands brands you've mentioned, I'll just have to get a quote I suppose and go from there. I just want plain venetians, not perforated or fancy.

nzhel, Nov 4, 3:55pm
We had just two windows done by Spotlight - both a reasonable size.
Very pleased with the blinds and Spotlight was professional with their service, quick and the blinds are spot on in sizing. We took our house plans in and they worked from those as we had other blinds made as well. They do come and measure tho that depends on where you live. I would use them again.

hound31, Nov 4, 4:30pm
Thanks, gives me another option. i didn't think of them.

harm_less, Nov 4, 7:48pm
Unless you want the 'look' of the narrower slat "micros" go for standard 25 mm aluminiums. They're far more durable.

hound31, Nov 4, 11:17pm
Thanks, they sound about the width I want. I don't actually like the look of the narrow ones.

lynja, Sep 13, 12:03am
We have used Russells Curtains and have been really pleased with the result.
We opted for a wider, white style which suited our house. More expensive than buying them off the shelf but perfectly fitted and excellent quality.