Curtains vs vertical blinds

jojo76, Jun 20, 10:22am
We have a relatively small dining area, which has the illustion of being smaller after i put up net curtains.
Im trying to figure out the best way to dress these windows.
I have the dining table up against 1 window which make pulling the thermal drapes behind the table quite hard (250cm wide window) and i have a ranch slider on adjacent wall which is used alot.

So enough of my waffle, im considering vertical blinds - how long do these last in relation to good thermals?
Im thinking of loosing the nets to make it look bigger enough though we loose a bit of privacy, and if i leave the table where it is and go for thermals investing in a cord drawn track.

We live in a cold area with wooden windows so warmth is a buggy for us.

Any ideas advise appreciated!

melford, Jun 20, 10:29am
I have vertical blinds for privacy and thermal drapes for warmth. Just vertical blinds will not add warmth especially with wooden windows in my opinion.

harm_less, Jun 20, 2:30pm
Vertical blinds have next to no insulating ability, only provide privacy if fully (turned) closed and are high maintenance in busy areas as there are lots of components to catch on furniture, people and pets.

amasser, Jun 20, 3:58pm
Double glazing plus tinting?

nafarious, Jun 20, 4:05pm
Vertical blinds = awful.(in my opinion)
Get a profession curtain and blind person in. There are so many cool options these days! My Dad just did his house. Was amazing the different options!

coralsnake, Jun 20, 11:56pm
See if you can locate some Gallery Glass paint and paint over the windows in a pattern [there are books with these] or free hand with one or more colors.
I've used this and it's brilliant as you can peel it off in one piece when you want to change it out!

holmda, Jun 21, 1:08pm
A cheap temporary option is to put bubble wrap on the windows for insulation and privacy. Depends how important warmth is versus looks to you. I personally don't like vertical blinds.

elect70, Jun 21, 5:28pm
Sacrifice warmth for looks ?

mrfxit, Jun 22, 3:32pm
Scary how many homes don't ever appear to have curtains even late on a winters night & not even a modern home, (double glazing etc)

elect70, Jun 24, 1:58pm
Thermal backed ready made curtains can be bought at red shed cheap as chips . Just redid my lounge inc ranchsliders for $160 . Quoted $800 from interior furniture shop for similar in same type of fabric .

jojo76, Oct 26, 6:16pm
Thanks. We kept with thermals rather than a blind.