Venetian blinds

biddy6, Feb 12, 6:10am
We are looking at replacing some venetian blinds in our North West facing living areas. The ones currently in place are cedar and whatever the slats were coated with, they've faded badly and some even started to peel. They were installed by the previous owner 8 years ago so not very long lived. We're considering replacing with white or ivory coloured timber ones thinking that they'd handle the sun on them better.

Am interested to hear of others experience with timber venetians.

marlin9, Feb 12, 9:06pm
We took ours out altogether and had the windows tinted and now have nets and drapes

rainrain1, Feb 13, 12:08am
They sag badly if left down, but open

bluefrog2, Feb 13, 12:10am
If you're not concerned about keeping the timber look, why not have fabric vertical blinds instead. They might be cheaper and last longer than 8 years. There's lots of different fabric you can choose including blockout fabric, or opaque fabric to let the light in.

molly37, Feb 14, 9:46pm
Previously we had no nets, just calico type drapes in our lounge room. Recently we replaced the lounge, dining and bedrooms with white wooden blinds. They look awesome. We have an old Bungalow. Do have brown cedar ones in the kitchen, bathroom and laundry which are still in good condition. Large windows we have split and have 2 blinds. I think these days they are well made and dont sag. I wipe them weekly with a duster and wipe off the odd fly dirt with a wet wipe. Not good for people who arent very houseproud and dont like the extra work. I was told they will yellow over time and unfortunately mine are on the sunny side of the house. I doubt they will out last the life of nets and drapes. Only downside in the bedroom they are No way near as dark as our heavy romans, not good at all for afternoon naps. And I would never in a million years consider verticals, they are dated and old fashioned, difficult to clean and just plain ugly. of course, thats just my opinion. lol

bluefrog2, Jun 22, 9:22pm
Okay I meant pleated blinds that open vertically like roman blinds. Had to google vertical blinds, and the images that came up were pretty ugly.
PLEATED blinds are lovely though.