Tips and tricks most probably no one knows. post

Page 1 / 3
intrade, Mar 28, 11:09am
Ok this is random anything that you know and you doubt anyone else does,

intrade, Mar 28, 11:14am
supermarket mailer specials.
in europe aldi etc you get to see whats on next week special about 1 week or so in advance. not so in new zealand.
if you want the specials from this week and next week you can not know both of them.
Well you can but only from about 5 pm tonight sunday they list the old and new mailer for monday. so you can look if you need to try and get something on special before the store closes or if it will be cheaper on monday.
i dont know the exact time the mailer go live but it was before 6 pm news last week. Nworld-mailer

tygertung, Mar 28, 12:24pm
Falafel can be made with other legumes than chickpeas.

I've made it out of all kinds of beans and you could probably use lentils too.

oh_hunnihunni, Mar 28, 12:39pm
A piece of fresh broken glass has the perfect edge for lifting old varnish smoothly when restoring furniture. Makes for minimal restorative sanding afterwards.

oh_hunnihunni, Mar 28, 12:40pm
Broadbeans make great hummus. Add beetroot and it is even better.

shanreagh, Mar 28, 1:08pm
You can make pesto from parsley.

hesian, Mar 28, 1:08pm
I think New World has Pak n Save's specials the week after though it might be the other way round.

I will think about other time savers etc I do and add in a list.

wasgonna, Mar 28, 3:49pm
Yep, works a treat. When I was in Intermediate school, probably 55-odd years ago, at the end of the year we were given broken glass to scrape back the varnish on desks we used. They were then ready to be varnished for the next year. Could you imagine the whimps being given broken glass nowadays.

starseeker, Mar 28, 4:42pm
When you have used the last piece of celery from a bunch, plant the remaining stump. While it will probably never be the large bunch such as one buys, given time it will grow enough to use the new leaves in soups & stews, handy in winter.

intrade, Mar 28, 5:18pm
here we go about 17.15 sundays 5 pm was still the old mailer
https://www.newworld.co.nz/mailer

this will revert to just display the new one after dont know when i guess monday some time

gpg58, Mar 28, 5:19pm
When laying out shape of a new garden, i let lawn get a little long, then mow the shape i like, and spray the rest with weed killer. Means i end up with shapes that are easy to mow around. Laying out a soft garden hose first, gives an initial idea of shape.

lovelurking, Mar 28, 5:37pm
Stirring a pot of paint with a power drill is not a good idea.

lovelurking, Mar 28, 5:41pm
A hint for the winter motorist.
You need to scrape the ice off your windscreen, never pour water on it.

zsazsa777, Mar 28, 11:43pm
A saucer with vanilla essence in it will absorb paint smells

tygertung, Mar 28, 11:48pm
It's the PC gone mad which wouldn't let the children have it now.

But they are not using varnished desks anymore so this is a pointless argument.

intrade, Mar 29, 8:14am
if you click post #10 it now reverted to new one only. would be interesting to know when that happens lol. but i aint got that much time or interest to refresh the page all night.

lythande1, Mar 29, 8:18am
You can compost anything. citrus, onions etc.
You don't need a special container either.

marte, Mar 29, 8:23am
A old credit card or such works well to scrape ice off the windscreen.

oh_hunnihunni, Mar 29, 9:00am
It also works well as a paint spreader on a large canvas, or to incise layers of wet paint, or heaps of other paint effects.

Could be good for icing cakes too.

oh_hunnihunni, Mar 29, 9:01am
Paper can go into the heap as well.

But you need to water it.

tygertung, Mar 29, 8:10pm
I chuck all the meat bones and meat scraps and dead rats and mice in the compost also. It all composts down. Also cardboard boxes (no tape)

christin, Mar 29, 9:11pm
And coriander

oh_hunnihunni, Mar 29, 10:11pm
I have this image of tossing a spade full of tyger's compost onto my vegie garden and spotting a handful of tiny skulls.

The reason it pays not to put animal products into the compost is that it does not get hot enough to destroy pathogens.

tygertung, Mar 29, 10:49pm
Maybe, but if it composts for long enough, I figure it shouldn't be a big deal.

anglia, Mar 30, 9:51am
Save a ton of money: use a current credit card, hopefully it’ll break so you won’t be able to use it.