Building A New Fence Help Needed

noogie5, Sep 6, 4:55pm
Hi there, we are looking at building a new fence but unsure what size post rail's and pallings to use, we are looking at using 100x100 post 100x50 rails and 150x25 paillings or 125x75 post 75x50 rails and 150x19 pallings.

The fence is 1.8 high, is this a good idea? We would like a fence that will last a long time and doesn't have to be a cheap fence.

Any help or recommendations will really appreciate
Thanks Scott and Jess

ebygum1, Sep 6, 5:11pm
Your first suggestion is spot on, you will find it hard to buy 125 x 75 posts, not many merchants would stock that size. Use 3 rails for a good job and put a cap on your palings. Good luck.

stevo2, Sep 6, 5:29pm
100x100 posts at 2mt apart and 600mm into the ground.
3 rows of 100x50 rails.
150x25 palings butted together, when they dry out you will have a 5mm gap.
If not using a cap, ensure your top rail is no further than 100mm from top of palings.

noogie5, Sep 6, 5:33pm
Thanks Bob I was thinking the same but the guy at PlaceMakers told me 125x75 are better as they keep straighter for longer and and don't bend as much as 100x100 and they are cheaper thanks again

noogie5, Sep 6, 5:34pm
Thanks Steve appreciate it

tegretol, Sep 6, 5:40pm
Correct if you can get them. But 100x100 assembled before they dry and twist too much is OK.

Two other suggestions - put them in with concrete and use 100mm bugle screws to afix the battens - 90mm nails will pull out and allow twist whereas the bugles do not. They are only $45/200.

noogie5, Sep 6, 6:02pm
Thanks everyone for your help how big should the hole's be 600 by 350

tim41, Sep 6, 6:16pm
no one uses 90 mm nails to put battens on

stevo2, Sep 6, 6:29pm
Pretty obvious he wrote battens but meant rails. Bugle head batten screws are the ducks nuts.

tegretol, Sep 6, 10:43pm
Apologies, yes I meant rails.

apollo11, Sep 6, 11:00pm
I've always dug spade width (300-ish) square x a third the height of the fence deep. So 600mm for an 1800 high fence is heaps. If using a post hole borer I guess you'd use the 350 round (?).

omamari, Sep 7, 6:42am
When you get all your materials stack them on some old bits of timber to keep them off the ground and if you aren't using them straight away throw something over them to keep the sun off. That will stop the timber warping

blueviking, Sep 7, 6:46am
If you want it to stay straight longer build it with plastered block columns.

lythande1, Sep 7, 8:23am
Then forget wood. We have concrete posts on ours.
A stone fence lasts longest. Or brick.

tegretol, Sep 7, 9:56am
And costs a bloody fortune more. OP - stick with wood - it's a nice soft but durable material if used properly. The point about assembling it and not having materials laying around to dry out is valid.

amasser, Sep 7, 10:27am
As stevo2 said. Palings will probably be so wet that some warping is inevitable but skew-nailing may alleviate that.

Fix the rails to the outer, or inner, face of the posts as is common. Have seen fences with the rails attached between the posts - it is not good.

You can build fences higher than 1.8 m. now.

pcle, Sep 7, 11:12am
Put a cap on top.
Fence will stay looking good as the palings shrink & warp.

lythande1, Sep 7, 12:30pm
Poster said price wasn't an issue.
Plus you spend $x on a last forever fence or less on a have to replace fence? Economical? Not.

omamari, Sep 7, 5:13pm
That's the trouble with this MB, someone seeks advice on a fence and half the people go off topic.
OP, you don't have to have a standard post, rail and board fence. Take a look at this website, they are expensive, but some great ideas for you to build yourself https://www.heritagegates.co.nz/shop/fences.html

tegretol, Sep 7, 7:44pm
Are you involved in that company and is advertising allowed on here?

omamari, Oct 1, 4:53pm
Never dealt with them, have copied one of their designs and I am not advertising