Adding a story above house

farmvo, Jul 16, 11:28am
just after some advice if anyone has done it . We are wanting to add 2 rooms and a bathroom above out garage (connected to house ) and wondering if anyone knows a rough,rough cost .I know depends all on structure etc but just after a rough guideline esp if someone has done it .

trade4us2, Jul 16, 11:45am
I have done it twice about 30 years ago, using the same architect. Cost about $30,000 for each. Now that there are new rules about scaffolding etc it would cost many times more.

farmvo, Jul 16, 12:11pm
Yea I am thinking it will be will above 100k from what people are saying

trade4us2, Jul 18, 10:20pm
Some things to think about:
If you have a shower on the top floor you can't run it from a low pressure hot water cylinder unless the cylinder is on the top floor.
Work out where the sewer pipe is going to go. It can't go up and down over any beams that are needed and you don't want to have a huge hole through the beam.
If the span over the downstairs rooms is more than 3 metres you may need expensive beams to hold the floor up.

nzshooter01, Jul 19, 7:18am
Lots of things to consider
The garage walls were never built to have another house sat on top of them, may well be strengthening requird there,
Same with the present garage foundation

lythande1, Jul 19, 8:34am

mrfxit, Jul 19, 9:03am
Also from the op's other thread

trade4us2, Jul 20, 10:29am
As I said, I have added a story on two houses and had no problems. Both had engineers calculations of course and were fully inspected by the Council building inspectors.
One house needed three beams and a steel pole in one wall. The other needed one beam which I glued up myself and needed an engineer's certificate.

yapper, Jul 20, 3:36pm
A 'story'? Once upon a time there was a house - but then what? Perhaps you all mean 'storey' - love it, lol.

trade4us2, Jul 20, 9:15pm
"two story house" About 4,860,000 results
"two storey house" About 3,690,000 results

apollo11, Jul 21, 7:12pm
'Story' is just another Americanized (Americanised) spelling mistake lol.

tegretol, Aug 22, 11:28pm
What are the foundations on which the garage is built? Do the council have those details? Adding a storey can often cost more than merely extending.

mazalinas, Oct 5, 7:04am
Put it in the too hard basket. Nobody wants to clean two bathrooms (have you seen the hassle it is to clean a shower door in the other thread!). Also, adding more rooms and especially upstairs ones will mean lugging a vacuum cleaner upstairs and the house will be far too big for a Dyson stick costing $1400 to manage - the battery will be flat before you even make it up those stairs!