House rewiring costs.

sheree7, Jan 4, 8:53pm
Hi all , i will be ringing around for quotes/estimates soon[most companies not back from xmas/new year break yet].Just thought i would ask if anyone has had any rewiring done and a rough price i could expect for a 4 bedroom home? Some of it has been done in kitchen/laundry area a few years ago. I know that there are different situations and conditions which affect costings .Thanks.

androth2, Jan 4, 9:08pm
It all depends on if your using the old fittings and don't want the position altered ,count on an electrician at $240 an hour for an all day job

callum.irvine, Jan 4, 9:32pm
$3496.30
3 bed house complete rewire of old rubber wire, new fusebox.
Good access under floor and in attic.
Mostly used original fixings and locations of power points and light fittings, except oven.
Took roughly 2 days.
Day 1 2x electricians, 1 x "boy" (their description)
Day 2 1x electrician, 1x boy

They used the tie new wire to old wire and pull through method. Only one broke so had to be rerouted.

I had 2 others look. The one I was actually keen on using got injured between looking and doing up a quote so couldn't quote. The other said they would get a team of 6 in and smash it out in a day. Their estimate was $5k ish.

colin433, Jan 6, 11:45am
certainly not cheap, but a job that is a necessity too ensure you don't come home to a heap of ashes.
We had a smallish three bedroom house done in Tokoroa about 15 years ago, it was around $4000 then, goodness knows how much now!
get a quote first, they struck trouble with ours and spend at least day longer than estimated. We could not have afforded the hourly rate for an extra day.

mrfxit, Jan 6, 1:58pm
How long is a piece of string.
OR
How deep are your pockets.

Both apply if hiring on an hourly rate.
Get at least 3 quotes & note the attitude from the ppl doing the quote.
A modest charge for a comprehensive quote is fine but high charges just for doing a quote doesn't mean they are good at their job, more likely tired of having to do quotes & charging high value quotes for smallish jobs

christin, Jan 6, 11:55pm
Currently getting mine done. Five bedroom. Most of house is old wiring but newer in some areas but still replacing powerpoints and switches in those areas so everything matches. new fuse board, using an okay brand of switch not basic one, getting a few new points out in. Including some USB ones and an outdoor point etc

$6000 but also paid about $800 myself for lights.

neell, Jan 7, 12:31pm
$240 and hour for a sparkie?
I'd be looking for a second opinion.

bill1451, Jan 7, 1:34pm
maybe that covers materials as well. cost you that to go to the dentist for 15 minutes, so ok with that.

serf407, Jan 10, 1:03pm
I would like to read the google reviews on the $240/ hr sparkie.

tygertung, Jan 10, 10:49pm
It cost us about $4k for a 3 bedroom house about 10 years ago, including new circuits installed, new switchboard and an extractor fan in the bathroom. Did the whole job pretty much on day one and finished off the rest the next day.

Had old rubber wiring.

mrfxit, Aug 26, 3:51pm
A lot has changed in the last 10 years in regulations AND pricing.
20 years ago, got a 3 bedroom house fully done for $1800
New everything except the switch board