Is if economical to repair a washing machine

Page 1 / 2
jojo76, Jun 9, 2:53pm
My Samsung front loader has died :( it is just the water pump I believe. Fill fine washes but just does nothing when it come to pumping the water out, no noise - nothing.
In todays disposable world fix or replace? Is is roughly 6 years old.

melford, Jun 9, 3:10pm
Jo I am 75 and repair anything I need to repair by looking it up on you tube. Just type in Samsung front loader washing machine and there are a number of easy fixes for your problem. Its worth a try and may save you having to replace it especially as it is still washing

angie117, Jun 9, 3:28pm
I would get a price to get it fixed. And then make a decision.

annie17111, Jun 9, 4:16pm
My 3 year old front loading Samsung washing machine is playing up, doesn't always turn on and quoted $600 to fix. Which is a lot when we paid $1200 ish originally nfir the machine.

lythande1, Jun 9, 4:17pm
Depends on cost of faulty part. pump shouldn't be too bad, electronics, well usually not economical.

pamow69, Jun 9, 8:50pm
May be just a blockage in the pump. Have you taken out and cleaned inside the filter area down on the front right hand side? If no blockage and pump still won't run then a new pump would be far cheaper than a new machine. If you want to do it yourself buy the pump here:- 3124621780

bucca11, Jun 9, 10:01pm
Would this be covered under Consumer Guarantees Act? I would expect a 3 year old, $1200 machine last longer than 3 years

hazelnut2, Jun 9, 10:31pm
Too darned right it should last longer! I would go back to the shop you got it from if possible. If you have your receipt, even better, though they can most likely look up when you bought it. Get them to come to the party. Don't take 'no' for an answer!

However, when our 4 year old fridge didn't work properly, our local appliance serviceman fixed it and then charged Samsung who paid for the part. You could also try this avenue.

I have an 18 year old front loader which has only ever needed new bushings when the drum no longer revolved last year, but that's it.

marte, Jun 9, 11:00pm
The pump in my top loader stopped working, it was just a couple of coins stuck in it.
I would try fixing it. ( Though mine took two goes to fix it, one coin in the pump, one in its hose. )

annie17111, Jun 9, 11:14pm
yep and that's what I told Samsung when they said the warranty is only for two years. Now just waiting on them to get one of their technicians to come and fix it. Been waiting two weeks so far so will give them a call tomorrow and see what's happening.

toyboy3, Jun 10, 8:30am
My neighbour threw out a Samsung washing machine said it would not pump out, I pulled the pump out and found a 10 cent piece blocking the inlet to the pump.

jojo76, Jun 10, 10:43am
Well, I YouTubed how to replace a pump. A few videos came up, watched 2. The 2nd one mentioned a wee propeller behind the filter and to check it it had anything in it. I pooked around and it seemed free. However tried machine again and just like that the pump starts working again, did a drum clean and 3 load of washing since and no issues! Hopefully there was just something slighty stopping the pump and I dislodged it.
Fingers crossed. Thanks for all your help!

gph1961, Jun 10, 10:49am
well done you

melford, Jun 10, 4:42pm
Brilliant saved yourself heaps of coin

tegretol, Jun 10, 5:23pm
If you look at the CG Act, you'll find that only 3 years renders the machine unfit for purpose and that the supplier should be expected to fix it. If they refuse, take the matter to the Disputes Tribunal who will definately find in your favour.

tegretol, Jun 10, 5:25pm
Nothing to do with their terms of warranty - the CG Act defines your rights. The courts have said a front loader should last 6-8 years in normal use.

brightlights60, Jun 10, 8:36pm
These days I look at what we paid for the appliance versus buying a new one or repairing the old one. Our wash machine is a European one, well worth repairing, but it has never needed it. The F&P dishdrawers are, our last lot lasted 10 years, but only gave up the ghost after a huge earthquake. They are not expensive to repair, and this lot have never had a repair. YOu may have to pay for a quote but worth it if you consider the cost of a new washing machine compared with what it might cost to fix.

rjmeikle, Jun 11, 10:33am
We are going through a washing machine with a bottom drum seal gone, 6 years old and the manufacturer is in discussions about fixing it. The consumer institute reckons 10 years is about right for a washing machine.

joanie32, Jun 12, 9:45am
We had our Electrolux washer repaired at 5 years old.

I rang Harvey Norman to find out how old it was, and they suggested we make a claim with manufacturer.

Within an hour it was accepted and they had contacted service agent to give go ahead to repair

Every appliance we have now is Electrolux because of this.

mrfxit, Jun 12, 10:29am
Theres a lot of misinformation about the CGA.
The reality is that it's a floating time & price related warranty system that starts somewhere at the combination of the end of the retailers AND manufactures warrranty.

Eg: 12 month warranty on a $500 item thats under less stress then expected, could easily be still covered for another 6 to 12 months.
That same $500 item under a lot more then expected stress, could only be covered for another 3 months at best, (if you are lucky).

Price paid
Expected stress/wear in normal usage
Excess stress/wear
Expectation of lifespan
Fit for purpose in relation to OEM price

Eg:
A $2 shop ph power cable verses the same "purpose" $15 power cable from a large retailer.
The insinuation is that the dearer cable is made better = Expectation of lifespan & usage performance.

The catch is getting the retailer to understand the act/ calculate correctly & comply if needed.

mrfxit, Jun 12, 10:31am
Found a plastic bag in the pump of one washer I had here.
Lump of crud in another pump.

catbrat, Jun 15, 12:43pm
I have just replaced my washer, electronics broken, 3 months out of warranty
=companies wanted $150 to come =and =look at it,
machine before that brokeafter 3 years same situation out of warranty,
asked =to pay to find out whats wrong, when a new machine with awarranty
is only a few hundred more
this time I +purchased =a =Parmco =for the very reason they have a 7 year
warranty

annie17111, Jun 15, 3:29pm
Good to know about parmco warranty. I'm still waiting for Samsung to contact me to see when they will come fix it so following up.

tegretol, Jun 15, 9:21pm
Really?

Suggest you read this before posting any more woffle:

https://www.consumer.org.nz/articles/appliance-life-expectancy

The issue is very clearly defined.

voyager4, Jul 18, 10:40am
It's a bit like a noisy dishwasher only to find a toothpick in the drain area, rattling when it is going. Pox on the son who left it on the plate he put in the dishwasher.