What can I plant under the eaves of my house?

daisy86, Oct 23, 4:33pm
It's super dry and gets the morning sun. Would prefer to plant natives. All suggestions welcomed.

Thanks.

tweake, Oct 23, 5:47pm
i prefer none.
but otherwise anything very small or pot plants.

simple problem you see everywhere is plants get big, they rub up against the house. roots get into pipes, foundations etc. people add soil, bark etc and often end up sloping it the wrong way so water drain into the house instead of away from it. or do a raised garden and soil is now sitting against cladding or concrete, so moisture now enters the concrete or cladding and into the house.

daisy86, Oct 23, 7:47pm
Thanks Tweake, that's some really good advice and brought up some issues I hadn't thought about. I have bromeliads in rest of the area and just thought it looked a bit strange where the plants end.

axelvonduisberg, Oct 23, 8:36pm
Aren't the eaves nearer the roof?

tweake, Oct 23, 10:06pm
all jokes aside, previous owner planted some cabbage tree type plants. two where 2" from the wall so they got chopped. i left the third which was well off the wall but a few years later it started to hit the eaves.

lythande1, Oct 24, 7:57am
Nothing, plants up against the house cause all sorts of issues. Never mind roots, ants as well.

ed65, Oct 24, 9:56am
Have you room to put pots there, or long planter boxes? Then you could move them if there are any problems with height, width, moisture or whatever. If it's a really dry spot, I'd recommend you add water retention crystals to the potting mix.

daisy86, Oct 24, 10:11am
Thanks Ed, I was thinking along the lines of small shrubs, ground cover or annuals. Your suggestion of planter boxes is a great idea.

oh_hunnihunni, Oct 24, 11:14am
Grasses and succulents.

loukirby, Oct 25, 9:27am
I have rengarenga under my eaves on the south side of the house.

articferrit, Oct 25, 1:50pm
A couple of feature rocks and a mass planting of one type of succulent?,
or Geraniums?
or rosemary?
a mass planting of Pinks?
they all grow from bits and are drought tolerant, and also grow easily in pots

kateley, Sep 16, 10:05pm
have a look around the neighbourhood and see what others have looking good in the same area. Hebes are a good native for that sort of area - there are a lot of low growing ones, or the little wiry coprosma