Replacing pantry door hinge

rpvr, Aug 26, 2:17pm
One of the 3 hinges on my pantry door has a rounded adjustment screw and cannot be correctly adjusted. Can I replace just the one hinge, or should all 3 be replaced? The brand of hinge is Hettich, see photo at link below.
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/1389472936.jpg
I assume if replacing only one it would need to be the same brand or there could be adjustment problems?

fast4motion, Aug 26, 3:25pm
You can just replace the one hinge, provided that style is still available. Find out who supplies Hettich locally, and ensure you take it in to match it. Hettich is good brand, made in Germany. They usually sell the hinges separate to the cabinet mounting bracket (the piece with the slotted screw holes on the right of your pic - it should unclip) so make sure you keep it.
If you change to another brand, they often have the door mounting screw holes spaced a few millimetres out, so they can be a nightmare to fit.

crazynana, Aug 26, 4:01pm
My husband is a joiner and he says you should still be able to get these hinges. He said to find out who the Hettich agent is in Auckland and take it up with them.

cabrio1, Aug 26, 6:41pm
These are available at Bunnings and mitre 10.
Take your old one in to compare.
Replacing one is fine.

rpvr, Aug 26, 8:55pm
Thanks for the answers/comments. I have contacted Hettich in Auckland and got the name of a couple of stockists, notably not Bunnings and Mitre 10, who I think sell a different brand. Incidentally, I asked them about just replacing one and they say to replace them all. but I guess they want to sell more hinges!

apollo11, Aug 26, 9:13pm
I may have a whole bunch of new hinges left over from my kitchen install. I'll check in the morning if you are keen.

apollo11, Aug 26, 9:44pm
Oops, just remembered that the ones I have are the soft closing type.

peanuts37, Aug 27, 12:03am
Can't you remove screw and cut a slot in head with hacksaw.

blueviking, Aug 27, 7:32am
Take the screw out and take it to your local kitchen place. They may have some screws lying around and just give you 1 that fits.

rpvr, Aug 27, 10:33am
Thanks for the suggestion. The screw is not actually removable, it turns a certain amount in either direction to move the door in and out, but after reading your post, I managed to cut a slot in situ with the metal saw attachment to a renovator tool. Hinge can now be adjusted, so problem solved.

bill1451, Aug 28, 6:39pm
IMHO all your hinges will be worn out so best to replace the all of them on that door.

bill1451, Oct 4, 6:06am
I have replaced hinges on my pantry door, and on closer inspection have found them to be worn out, cheap enough anyway after 30 odd years of use.
Same as oven door hinges a little bit of elongation on the pivot points adds up to a lot of movement on a 400mm high oven door.