Ride on mower

dave1510, Sep 22, 4:16pm
We have about 1/2 acre of sloping land and are wanting to buy a ride on mower that would be good on slopes, any suggestions?

mouse265, Sep 22, 11:00pm
walkers are brilliant once you have learnt to operate them but pricey

pettal, Sep 23, 5:54pm
what sort of land , what sort of grass , how steep are the slopes ? .

tegretol, Sep 23, 6:31pm
Basically ya get what ya pay for. In order of preference, I'd go for Kubota, Walker, Hustler, Husquavarna. The rest are junk.

joanie32, Sep 23, 7:59pm
I have a zero turn husqvarna.
It’s a great machine and I will by one again.
Absolutely useless on any kind of slope though
I wouldn’t recommend for such an application.

mack77, Sep 23, 9:38pm
How steep is the slope that you tried using the mower on?

joanie32, Sep 24, 6:11pm
Not particularly steep
When turning up a hill, the cutting deck drops on the outside edge and makes a groove.
Not dangerous but looks horrible.

nzshooter01, Sep 24, 8:43pm
Some of those are expensive mowers? Like 10k or more?
I have a 2009 model craftsman mower from the USA. Its been stored for 5yrs but we are moving back to a lifestyle block shortly.
So its getting some maintenece, new belts etc,
Its a cheapy was about 5k when i bought it, goes ok

tegretol, Sep 24, 11:02pm
They are but after a decade of buying cheap second hand crud, I splashed out on a near-new Hustler $&k in 2015. It was the best $7k I've spent.

joanie32, Sep 25, 10:02am
I have a older MTD tractor mower as well
It’s been super reliable and does a great job.
The husqvarna is way more user friendly though, driving the husqvarna compared to the MTD is like driving a new Rolls Royce compared to a 1980 Honda Civic.
Big thing for me is that the Husqvarna is so much easier to clean, change a belt and maintain in general.
Guess it comes down to type of section and how seriously you take mowing your lawns.

dave1510, Sep 25, 12:47pm
grass is mostly kikuyu. slope is up to 45 degrees

ewanjs, Sep 25, 1:47pm

kerikeri13, Sep 25, 3:24pm
Don't go for a Stiga. Useless and lots of continuing repairs needed.

nicc4, Sep 25, 3:40pm
If you dont want a lawn quality finish, I'd be going for a rotary slasher and small tractor.

nzshooter01, Sep 25, 8:28pm
Was interesting doing a google search on craftsman mowers, looks like only one agent in nz , in the north island
But all parts available on ebay at good prices.

mack77, Sep 25, 9:12pm
That's an extremely steep slope; so steep that it will be difficult to even walk up it. It appears that zero turn mowers are not recommended to be used on slopes greater than 15 degrees.

highclouds, Sep 27, 8:15am
We have family friends just up the road from you , wellsford , who were in a similar situation .The part of the slope that was to steep to mow they planted in locally sourced natives which has meant bird song and reduced the mowing to a smaller manageable area with a push mower .When they bought the property it came with a tractor mower which they have subsequently sold.

smallwoods, Sep 27, 8:55am
And that would have to be bone dry.

Any water in the grass and it is below 10 degrees (2wd of course)

zirconium, Sep 27, 10:28am
If you genuinely have 45 deg slopes, no walk-behind, ride-on, or tractor would be safe. You should seriously consider planting it as the poster further above suggests, or consider getting a goat.
If you must mow it, you could get the guys in with the remote-controlled 4wd go-anywhere mowers in. or buy one yourself for $80k?

Video gets going about 1min25sec:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chwO0p3rjpc

tweake, Sep 27, 1:59pm
spray it out and plant it out with fairly close spacing. if its normal spacing the kikuyu will grow back and can smoother the plants.

phoenix22, Sep 25, 7:02pm
we got a ride on from Mitre 10. Definitely not an expensive machine, as we couldn't afford that at the time. From memory it was a few thousand dollars?

We've had it for 7 years, and aside from maintenance, it has been a great machine. We bought a trailer for the back of it, and use it for all sorts of things, not just mowing the lawn.

however, it's too small for our current property, which is 2.5 acres, so will look at upgrading in the future.

If just a half acre section (or even an acre), I wouldn't necessarily say an expensive machine is needed. (but in your case OP, it sounds like any ride on would not work)