What has happened to my fruit trees this year?

borolad, Nov 11, 11:17am
I have several stone fruit trees that have failed this year to fruit. Two dwarf peaches, and one large peach. One of the dwarf peach trees looks in great condition, no leaf curl and did flower,but no fruit, the other two received some damage from leaf curl, not huge, they both flowered, started to show signs of fruit, but none left now. I also have one dwarf nectarine which is loaded and in good condition, plus two apple trees that are loaded? Any ideas why I have such a mix in results this year. All received same spray regime.

oh_hunnihunni, Nov 11, 3:26pm
Bees?

kiwimade64, Nov 11, 4:15pm
maybe the wind blew the blossoms off before the fruit could set. And lack of bees as oh_hunnihunni suggests. Another thought is do your trees need others to help pollinate them? Our apple needs another apple tree for pollination so maybe your trees do as well and those trees are no longer around.

tweake, Nov 11, 6:52pm
i highly doubt lack of bees.
weather is typically the biggest culprit. the wrong weather at the wrong time is all it takes.

wheelz, Nov 11, 8:07pm
I remember being damn cross at the wind at the time my trees were in flower.
Do bees still do their business in gale force winds?

bandrach, Nov 20, 1:27pm
We are in CHCH too and our apricot tree didn't fruit this year either. lots of flowers, no fruit

oh_hunnihunni, Nov 20, 1:40pm
No. They also cannot fly in cooler weather.

tweake, Nov 20, 5:11pm
bees can get around in surprisingly large wind.
but they will often go for flowers that are out of the wind.
wind will most certainly effect pollination, not just the bees but the actually flowers and pollen as well.

wine-o-clock, Nov 20, 7:28pm
late frosts have damaged a few of our trees and plants here

bill1451, Nov 24, 8:52pm
yup we have 2 peach trees and a small green plum tree, no fruit at all, I,M FAIRLY sure we had a late frost in October I think, and that would have been about the time when the fruit was setting. these trees are usually quite heavy fruiters. first time ever we have had nothing at all.

oh_hunnihunni, Nov 26, 8:59am
Bees are cold blooded creatures, so can only fly - and work - in warmer temperatures. A late frost followed by a few cool or breezy days might well cut back pollination.

harrislucinda, Nov 26, 9:40am
same here a apple tree just pink with flowers i see very little fruit but been very wet as well Currants dont have much fruit either No plums again

oh_hunnihunni, Sep 7, 7:58am
Sad about the currants. That was one of the best things about my Blenheim garden, learning about black currant bushes. And oh the jelly.