Garlic growing seed heads

eurika, Dec 24, 6:12am
My garlic is starting to turn brown and is starting to sprout seed heads, is it ok to leave in the ground or should I dig it! I have never grown garlic before so are not to sure on just when to dig it.
TAI

cantabman1, Dec 24, 6:57am
you could grow them, and replant the bulbs the next season for a crop, but really its a waist of time.far better to get the outer bigger cloves from a bulb and plant them out around the shortest day.
There was a great articule in NZ gardener last may or June on how to get the best results, a copy is maybe availale at your local libruary.
My 60 odd plants are at the same stage as yours, but im going to leave them just a few more weeks and pull them in mid January.

bjane, Dec 24, 6:32pm
I had suggested to plant them and use the greenery as garlic chives but yeah, not much good as actual garlic.

kaliyuga, Dec 25, 6:34am
best to pull it up, i read that you do so when half green half yellow/brown, they keep better than if you leave them to go totally brown.

eurika, Dec 28, 3:15pm
Thanks for all the feedback and think I will do the same as you cantabman1 which should see them at a simular stage as kaliyuga's one, half yellow/brown.