Black mites on my garlic plants

dors, Nov 13, 3:33am
What can I treat my garlic plants with to rid them of this black mites infestation! The mites look like black aphids.

les6, Nov 13, 3:58am
they are.

dors, Nov 13, 4:03am
So, how to get rid of them!

bjane, Nov 13, 5:12am
If you dont mind spraying, spray them. There are any number of insecticides sold over the counter that will kill them. If you dont like to spray, squirt with water, spray with soapy water, or just search on this page. Key word in Aphids

velenski, Nov 13, 5:38am
x1
spray with garlic water.

les6, Nov 13, 5:56am
confidor works well.

bigmacker, Nov 13, 6:20am
Spray with soapy water - works wonders.Spray every second day for a few days - they will be gone.

wheelz, Nov 13, 10:08pm
Haha doesn't aphids on garlic plants poo poo people's suggestion of growing garlic to repel aphids ! Just shows you, some ' greenie' remedies are myths'

pestri, Nov 13, 10:10pm
x1
yep, use your old dishwater.

cantabman1, Nov 13, 10:43pm
Maybe they are genetically modified aphids, hmmm, the thot plickens.
generally speaking, growing garlic in the garden DOES ward off many insects and pests.

dors, Nov 14, 3:16am
I know, I was amazed too!

mm12345, Nov 14, 4:01am
We've had them too - they'll monster garlic, chives, spring onions very quickly if you don't get rid of them.I agree with the soapy water remedy if you don't want to use a pesticide spray.

dors, Nov 15, 3:35am
x1
The soapy water has worked! The rain we are having has washed the little sods away. Thanks everyone for good advice. We have over 100 garlic plants so it was not easy!

2young1, Nov 15, 10:05am
had a gorjus crop of spring onions last year.my pride and joy and all attacked by black aphids.

have read to tend to go for the overheated under watered plants.
ie i had growing in planter next to hot north facing wall.

cantabman1, Nov 3, 10:42pm
A hundred, gees I thought i was doing great with 60, anyway Im pleased with my first serious attempt at growing them after a little help from i think the May issue of NZ gardener.