Garlic plants - seed heads

js4sj, Dec 19, 5:07am
So I have taken all the seed heads off the garlic as they show. I had to remove an Elephant garlic plant today as our dog who is 17yrs old lost balance and had fallen on it and broke top off. However since pulling this one out I note that it does not have cloves formed as such from the look of it - an Elephant garlic it as. I have some Elephant garlic and also some Heirloom garlic they are wilting etc but would it be of value pulling now or would you normally wait for later they were all planted in July mid to late.

net_oz, Dec 19, 6:42am
Fresh is best. Start using them now. The taste is so much better than waiting until they are old and past it. Plant a few bulbs every month and use them as they grow. You will never go back to planting once and harvseting once.

skin1235, Dec 20, 7:39am
they keep well if you mince them and store in a jar in the fridge, never had a jar go off yet, and with elephant garlic it only takes a couple of bulbs to fill a jam jar

wizid, Dec 20, 7:54am
thanks for that was wonder what to do

cantabman1, Dec 22, 4:10pm
To answer your question as to the seed heads, i think if you plant them out you will get smaller bulbs which you can then replant to get the normal size ones.I have never bothered. Its a bit like strawberries; you have the runners to propergate, the division of plants each year and the strawberry itself which has seeds.