Fresh garlic

bosch2006, Jan 4, 12:07am
It ruins your soil. plant in tubs

quiz3, Jan 6, 9:04pm
Well, thanks for messages but I have just remembered why my garlic was not up to my usual. Anyway it turns out that I dug chicken manure into that patch of soil, maybe too strong a brew or ? . The Lebanese cucumber and pepper I planted in the same area are not doing so well so I am pretty sure I've worked it all out. Soooo some home work now for that patch and I'm good.

quiz3, Dec 27, 1:00am
Around Mid May I planted around 50 garlic bulbs. As is the norm I usually get a great harvest. Been looking forward to hatvesting this lot for ages and today was that day. Well I couldn't believe it, small, puny oh such a failure, the whole lot hardly grown from when I planted the cloves. Unbelievable! .
So I realise that's that but has anyone got any good reason why such a failure. This planting was in a different part of the garden than last years crop.
Does weather play a big part, moisture, too hot (definitely hasn't been) too cold, too many frosts , oh the questions and queries !
We are in the Horowhenua.
Thanks for any replies.

gamefisher, Dec 27, 1:25am
Nematodes perhaps do a google.

wine-o-clock, Dec 27, 1:26am

hazelnut2, Dec 28, 1:15am
We used Chinese garlic which sprouted in the cupboard, but the plants took 18 months to be ready to harvest and then were still puny. But we have enough to use for about a year.

firefly001, Dec 28, 1:30am
Well I hate to skite but one of mine was fabulous. . complete fluke though. I had lots last year that didn't go through the vernalisation ? process so no cloves just one bulb. Better luck next year. .

wasgonna, Dec 28, 1:40am
Were your bulbs from supermarket or proper garden centre, etc, ones.

tweake, Dec 28, 1:56am
bigger the cloves are the bigger the bulbs you will get. so save the biggest for planting.
also feed is highly important. they love good compost.

miffycat1, Dec 28, 5:28am
Chinese garlic should not be used for planting, it has been bleached / treated, hence why it is very white, I will not use it.
Has not the same taste as NZ grown garlic.
Only use Garlic from Garden centres for planting.

hazelnut2, Dec 28, 5:36am
The bulbs we got from the cloves were also VERY white once the outer skin was peeled off. We ain't done NO bleaching and no treating!

peteyboo1, Dec 28, 5:41am
I pulled a row of mine yesterday about 10 bulbs, 2 of them I would call decent garlic. the rest are on the smaller side. the taste is fantastic the size not. im in Hawkes Bay, I would say the late southerlies with frosts following would have something to do with the size.

samanya, Dec 28, 6:57am
This.
I grew puny garlic a couple of years ago . very disappointing, so I fed & watered & got a reasonable sized crop last year, but it is a bit manky now, even though it was hung in a shady airy place.
This year, I'm determined to get larger garlic, pig poo, fertiliser & water & so much TLC . so fingers crossed.

quiz3, Dec 28, 8:05am
The garlic cloves I used were from the previous years harvest and I used decent sized cloves.
As for chinese garlic I would never buy it or use it for seed.
Thanks for replies everyone, perhaps better luck next season.

mustu, Dec 28, 9:41am
After years of disappointing garlic crops this year I made a special effort to mulch it well, feed it with Seasol and water very regularly. The result was the best garlic I've ever grown!
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/436117257.jpg https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/436117399.jpg

peteyboo1, Dec 28, 7:33pm
impressive

wasgonna, Dec 28, 9:56pm
Yep, mulching makes a huge difference as they hate the competition from weeds.

meoldchina, Dec 29, 2:53am
You make me feel inadequate! What an impressive crop. Well done.

deboo, Jan 1, 6:06am
Garlic just pulled out is more like spring onions,think in Auckland will have to plant earlier perhaps first cold snap.

skin1235, Jan 1, 6:33am
very impressive crop indeed

now the chaser, they are too green, if you had left them until the tops were drying, they would have bulked up even more

but still an impressive crop

tub4, Mar 30, 9:15pm
I always understood it's planted on the shortest day and pulled on the longest day.