Lawn problem help

centaurus2, Jan 17, 9:12am
my lawn is covered with Clover what can I do to get rid of this?

bethd754, Jan 17, 4:45pm
Go to Bunning or Mitre 10 and buy a "Yates Hydrocotyle Killer". It killed the clover and other weeds but not the grass. Just avoid sprayed any flowers or veggies, otherwise it will killed too.

lythande1, Jan 18, 7:44am
Let it grow so the poor struggling bees have something to harvest. We do.

hazelnut2, Jan 18, 7:49am
Buy the Number8 version. works just as well and is easier on the wallet!

hazelnut2, Jan 18, 7:58am
I have plenty of flowers in my garden which the bees love. The lawn doesn't need flowers.

oh_hunnihunni, Jan 18, 8:29am
I read somewhere recently the opinion that lawns were one of the key signs of excessively civilised wealth. Poor countries don't have them, people who depend on the land for sustenance don't, and their monocultural state doesn't occur in nature.

They do look good though, despite their drain on household resources.

hazelnut2, Jan 18, 9:56am
Once the clover is gone you might have lots of empty patches.

Here's a tip I heard on a radio station once, tried it out and found it to work well:

Mix grass seed of your choice with dampened seeding compost inside a black rubbish bag inside another black rubbish bag (to make it really dark). Fold the top over to keep the moisture in and check after 6 days (can wait up to 10 days). Once the seeds have started to sprout spread the mix where you need it and very gently compress. Apply another thin layer of seeding compost on top to hide the seeds and keep damp for a week or more. works well to do this before rainy weather!

lythande1, Jan 18, 10:49am
Top 5 Tips for a Bee Friendly Backyard
Bees need all the help they can get and you can make a big difference just by creating a bee-friendly space in your garden. (And it’s not hard — bees are easy to please!).

Here are our top 5 tips for creating a bee friendly backyard:
1. Plant the right flowers

Bees like flowers that make good landing platforms or tubular flowers with nectar at the base – think daises, dandelions or snapdragons. Many of the new hybrid varieties are bred for showy colour displays, but have very little pollen and nectar.

Plants with flower spikes are also enjoyed, as the bees can move from flower to flower very quickly!

Blue and yellow are favorite bee colours. Bees can’t see red! White Dutch clover and other flowering ground covers provide a grass alternative that can create a bee oasis in the smallest yard.

2. Use Trees and Shrubs to Help Provide Pollen and Nectar Throughout the Season

Trees and shrubs can provide a flush of pollen and nectar early in the season before other plants have a chance to emerge. They should be a part of almost every yard. Grass lawns offer no shelter and no food to pollinators.

3. Have Shallow Water Available for the Bees

Just like everything else, bees need water to survive. If the water container is too deep, they may drown. Bees can’t swim, so they have to be able to access water without treading water.

4. No Pesticides!
Be careful what you spray in your garden as most pesticides are lethal to bees. Opt for organic solutions where possible such as pyrethrum and only spray in the evening when bees have gone to bed.

5. Provide Nesting Sites for Bees in Your Garden

This tip is primarily for the bumblebees and other native bees that don’t live in hives. (Of course, sometimes honey bees do form wild hives, but most of us don’t necessarily have the space to accommodate a large wild hive.) Bumblebees are ground or box nesters, depending on the species. They need a natural, less disturbed area to nest, which may be able to be more easily worked into yard or garden edges.

lythande1, Jan 18, 10:50am
People think buying an electric car will save the "planet". It won't. Not using poison to keep a lawn free of other plants, planting for pretty and not ecology is a big part.

oh_hunnihunni, Jan 18, 12:18pm
Waiting till Autumn is an even better idea.

hazelnut2, Jan 18, 12:43pm
er, I think Autumn would be too late. the seeds need warm soil to get established and an early frost could kill them.

eaglefan, Jan 18, 1:19pm
I thought clover was a sign of a healthy lawn, lots of nitrogen etc. I certainly wouldn't be trying to extract it from my lawn.

funkydunky, Jan 18, 2:55pm
Kikuyu & clover - over and over .
That's how I roll

strathview, Aug 24, 5:43pm
If you have clover in your lawn you don't need to put on nitrogen fertilizers.