Resene Cool colour - does it work for decks?

mbi15, Mar 25, 10:11am
I'm considering painting my deck (half is old painted deck, half is new not painted). I prefer dark colours like a med-dark grey but I am worried about how hot it will be to walk on in summer, as the current old paint is burny hot, but the timber is cool. I've tried to water blast the paint off but it won't budge. I could paint it a light sandy timber colour, but then I saw the coolColour resene paint and just wondered how well it works?

is it ok to walk on on a hot summer day?

dbab, Mar 25, 10:54am
I'll be interested in this too.

amasser, Mar 25, 12:47pm
Has Resene explained the physics of this?

loud_37, Mar 25, 2:35pm
our house is paint in a resene cool colour, still gets very hot to touch in summer.

articferrit, Mar 25, 3:08pm
as above, I just went and tested it now, and it would be too hot to walk on. I think it really means the paint can handle more heat before it is affected than other paint. Go and talk to resene and see what ideas they have.

pskpinks, Mar 26, 1:45pm
Cool Colours work by reflecting heat away from the surface instead of absorbing it into the surface. It will not make it cool to touch. If a standard dark colour in direct sunshine got up to 40 +C I would imagine the Cool Colour modified version of the same colour might still be hot but not very very hot.
Dark coloured decks are awful to walk on in bare feet - sheer torture!

tegretol, Dec 3, 6:44pm
Remember that you have to put a WHITE coat underneath CC for it to work. I have painted the large beams on a pergola black CC with white undercoat and even in the hot Nelson sun, they feel cold to the touch. No heat means less degradation of the paint.