I give up, how does this work?

-mung-, Feb 14, 3:10am
http://i.imgur.com/41QJQg6.jpg

So damn simple, you stick it in a thin or gib wall and then you can use a screw, yes!

So what are the little handles on the side! Are they useful or something you remove!
Do you make the hole big enough to accomodate them! How the hell do you force the thing through a hole with those little things on the side! Are you supposed to make a hole with notches! How are you supposed to do that!
Man I do can do all sorts of shit around the house but these little buggers stump me.

ebygum1, Feb 14, 3:18am
Not really for thin walls,it is just a plug,drill the right size hole,push the plug in,screw in screw!. If it's an 8mm plug,you drill an 8mm hole hole etc.

captaingraham, Feb 14, 3:19am
If you want to hang something on a gib wall with no fixing, throw that piece of rubbish out and buy some decent fixing devices.

-mung-, Feb 14, 3:23am
It's actually a shower wall, so thin and hard and not gib, whatever they are usually made of. yeah every time I google for anchors or anything that sounds like what they migth be called I never see ones that look like this, I suspected they are just rubbish. So off to the local hardware shop I guess.

The kind of thing that would make new DIY types think it's not for them, but it's actually the cheap shitty hardware.

paull, Feb 14, 3:46am
haha yea they are crap allright, the damm things turn before you get the screw all the way in. i used those cork screw type fittings the other day and they are the shizzle,didnt even need a pilot hole they have a self drilling tip and just get the phillips and wind the little beggars in and away you go.

russ18, Feb 14, 4:20am
+1
Yep they are good and the metal ones are even better.

zak410, Feb 14, 4:45am
Sounds like you got villa-board on your walls, its about 5mm thin and cement based;
use the fittings from the post above but being villa-board drill a pilot hole smaller than the fitting first.

32oscar, Feb 14, 5:23am
what you have there is a masonary plug designed to fix to things to solid brick or concrete, not hollow walls like Gib or seratone

dlmckay, Feb 14, 5:56am
These are FANTASTIC on gib walls - they are seriously wonderful.

-mung-, Feb 14, 9:58am
Thanks everyone, I got something quite similar to those ones above. quite a range which lead to a bit of indecision, but I'll find out tomorrow :)

kandjaja, Feb 15, 4:46am
I use strap toggles.and only strap toggles.

maclad, Feb 15, 5:14am
Since discovering these they are the only anchors I use now. Had a rail in the bathroom that was constantly coming loose and after usingtwo of these, and I must admit a bit of glue for more security, there were no more issues. They are good and come in multiple sizes and materials.

t_naki, Feb 15, 5:28am
Agree, what OP has there is a masonry anchor for fixing to concrete or brick. The small tabs are to hold the fixing in the wall and help stop it spinning or being pulled out when you are trying to screw into it.

Depending on what you are fixing I often use the screw in ones that another posterhas posted a pic of but if it is possible to have any weight applied to whatever you are fixing spring toggles are the only way to go. Spring toggles are the ones you drill a 12mm hole (usually) and fold up the spring loaded brackets and push them through, once through the spring pops out the bracket on the back side of the job and you do up.

No way is better other than having timber in behind.

buddytom, Feb 15, 8:01am
I think they are called Rawlplugs all sizes and colours

slj1, Feb 15, 8:19am
DON"T go drilling holes in your shower wall to hang an thing on.The hole you drill is going to let water past then it is drip drip drip inside the wall and we have the beginning of another leaky building. Try some of that double sided tape tape which I find does the trick but please no holes.

t_naki, Feb 15, 8:12pm
There are numerous penetrations in a shower liner, if done properly and sealed they will be fine and not leak.

astroflight1, Feb 15, 8:38pm
OK, for a start, use a drill bit of the appropriate size.Insert the plug, it should be so firm that you have to tap it in with a hammer.Tap it flush with the wall.Screw in the screw.Inside the wall the wings will open up and anchor the screw.
To gat a hint of what happens, hold it in your hand and screw in a csrew.You will see it begin to work.Now imagine that in the wall cavity.

astroflight1, Feb 15, 8:39pm
OMG typo's

tillsbury, Feb 15, 10:27pm
OP, the thing you've posted is a rawlplug, suitable only for a solid wall (brick or block or concrete).

The screwy things are good and easy, but sometimes tricky to get precisely where you want and they are expensive for their strength, and (occasionally) you don't want the large area they present on the surface.

I recently started to use a product called "triple grip" which I found in Mitre 10 and is an excellent multi-purpose gripper, works in brick/concrete, tile backing or Gib, 16kg per fixing and have a much smaller external diameter.Comes in a box with the right bit and screws, you don't have to think about which to use where.

buddynz1, Feb 15, 10:33pm
use things called toggle bolts .they have a hinge that opens when you push through the hole and are a lot stronger ,,but remember to drill the hole as big as the size of the hinges
http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=SC1ZuxuZ2PU

-mung-, Feb 16, 2:44am
I wound up using something like this:
http://t0.gstatic.com/images!q=tbn:ANd9GcStAYh-sRqe07GYDUdgebZHE8ZVRqWpbcne0dqYP6-ZNOA152-A

Self tapping.

As for the holes in the wall leaky thing, I sealed it. It was a shower rail thing. Oh and the shower and house are kinda shitty and old anyway, I imagine that if water was going to leak though somewhere, it has already long before I came along.

rmcgrath, Feb 16, 4:14am
thats the ones

rojill, Mar 9, 7:08pm
Hey - I like the mechanics of those - seem a better idea as they sit flat against the back of the wall (lining).
Do the usual M10& etc stock them !