Will bubble wrap work

differentthings, Jun 20, 4:08am
Want to insulate some ducting pipe on a heat transfer system.(the silver stuff) The proper stuff cost too much (and it's only 0.6 R rated), so if I wrap the ducting in bubble wrap will that keep the air from cooling down ( or heating up in the summer) as it goes though the ducting. thx

tweake, Jun 20, 4:26am
i would just hunt around for insulation scraps. often builders throw it out it.

bubble wrap might work if you seal the ends so air can't flow up/down the roll. but it will still have heaps of air movement in it which reduces its insulation value. its probably a ton of work for little insulation value.

hammer23, Jun 20, 4:28am
What a good idea,it can't be any worse that the stuff supplied with the kit because I found with mine it was warm air in cool air out.
Will the plastic be o.k against the warm pipe.

differentthings, Jun 20, 5:01am
No. The bubble wrap goes on the outside of the ducting. No air flow though the bubble wrap. It's only for insulation. OK I think I know what you mean. little chance of that happening. tried pink batts (got a couple lying around and too hard to wrap around the ducting.

tweake, Jun 20, 5:02am
plastic should be ok with the temp. tho have no idea if it will have fire retardant in it.

differentthings, Jun 20, 5:09am
It won't be a problem as it won't get that hot to melt it. I can leave it in front of the fire all night and it seems fine. Just been reading on the net how they use it on windows etc and got me thinking of the ducting. Same problem as you,The air on the outlet vents is a lot colder than the inlet side (by fire) due to the air flow and about 5 metres it has to travel.

tweake, Jun 20, 5:09am
thats not what i said.
wasn't talking about pumping air down it ffs.

insulation works by capturing and holding air still. you still get air movement between the layers of bubble wrap which reduces the insulation value.
so you need to stop that air movement for it to become a decent insulation.

differentthings, Jun 20, 5:18am
Yea see my edited bit. Easy to seal up. I cut some into strips about 400mm and wrapped some spare ducting as I can get a nice seal. This seems to work better than making into a tube and then putting that over the ducting.

..james.., Jun 20, 5:21am
Yep , I've done just this. 2 layers of bubble wrap taped on to the ducting with masking tape every 30cm or so.It makes a big difference as i found the factory insulation not good enough.

differentthings, Jun 20, 5:23am
Cool. How did you do it. Big pieces or thinner strips in a spiral.?.

tweake, Jun 20, 6:00am
depends on how big the bubble wrap is. i would be looking for at least 50mm thick if not 100mm around the duct pipe.

spiral is a good idea but hard to do. have fun.

kaylin, Jun 21, 5:21am
Can you use pool noodles? You know - those coloured hollow spongy things kids play with.

tweake, Dec 11, 6:53am
not big enough. way to skinny.