Anyone Reclad an Old House ? Approx Cost etc

spiritofgonzo, Jan 1, 1:10pm
100k+

trade4us2, Jan 1, 1:37pm
10 years ago a neighbour had a large new house built with monolithic cladding. It leaked, as we told her it would. She had it reclad in weatherboards for about $115,000.

spiritofgonzo, Jan 1, 5:28pm
costs and standards have gone up significantly more than inflation in 20 years. Did you put in a cavity system? Now you’d need to, which means changing window frames (almost always). Also scaffolding requirements. Noting if it’s reclad you aren’t allowed to do the work yourself and it needs to be done by a builder, and needs building consent. Can easy cost 100-200k unfortunately

trade4us2, Jan 2, 10:54am
I don't believe standards of new houses have gone up. The building code has got worse and worse since the good old 100 year old wooden weatherboard houses that I have worked on.

They allowed monolithic panels with bogged up joints that failed, "leaky houses".
They allowed asbestos to be used as cladding and sprayed on to ceilings.
They allowed Dux Quest black plastic piping that failed.
They allowed a new H3 timber treatment (1980s?) that failed.
They required aluminium foil on outside walls in the 1970s, and now ban it as an electrical risk.
They allowed polystyrene foam next to wiring and now ban it.
They wrongly required a tempering valve by the hot water cylinder
https://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/72781724/Tests-show-legionnaires-bug-could-be-present-in-many-hot-water-systems
The building code has not been changed after the recent accidents with decks that collapsed.

And many other building faults. How about the CTV building that had NO reinforcing between floor and wall, and many other modern buildings that are now being demolished in Wellington?

budgel, Jan 2, 1:13pm
If you are replacing like for like, a consent wont be required as it is a maintenance issue.

gabbysnana, Jan 2, 1:43pm
only if its a failure within 15 years? Read that somewhere.

gabbysnana, Jan 2, 1:43pm
agree with all of this!

trade4us2, Jan 2, 2:23pm
I'm not a builder but I think I do a good job and no inspector has queried my work.
Here's a different house that I bought as a wreck for $29,500 and did up. I spent $30,000 on a new top floor otherwise I did all the work.
It recently sold for $2,638,000. It's been painted since I sold it, and the kitchen renovated and floors sanded.

https://www.barfoot.co.nz/584237

sanders4, Jan 2, 7:37pm
You must have been renovating since 1955 as land value in the 60s was over $150000, maybe the machine gun holes added extra value?

spiritofgonzo, Jan 2, 7:57pm
only if it’s patching bits of it. If you’re replacing all the cladding that’s considered reclad and needs consent

trade4us2, Jan 2, 7:58pm
I sold a house in Mt Roskill in 1978 for $24,500 and bought the Remuera house in 1978 for $29,500. I spent $30,000 on major renovations and sold it for $240,000 in 1992.

budgel, Jan 2, 8:34pm
I have known people who have put the job into 3 stages so it still complies.

spiritofgonzo, Jan 2, 8:43pm
ver grey area but I suppose some try something like that to get around it.

trade4us2, Jan 2, 9:45pm
The architect that I have used twice clad his own house in fine corrugated steel. That has lots of advantages.

trade4us2, Mar 23, 7:55am
I've mostly reclad an 1860 house and added another story. I sorted out the weatherboards that weren't rotten and put them back on. And bought another 600 metres of H3 pine weatherboards. Of course I used building paper, and I was required to use gib board and insulation.
The house was reblocked and rewired and replumbed.
Cost 20 years ago including builders for some framing, $40,000

I recommend double glazing for bedroom windows.