Relevelling a house

angelah1, Jul 2, 1:56pm
hello - we are about to relevel our 1905 villa - with concrete piles (so not repiling) - 2 builders = two different approaches. One is to go under, retain as much original flooring as possible, the other is to rip up all the old and relay with ply or similar. There are signs of borer and the area to do is about 120msq. Will be insulating etc at the same time.

Has anyone done this - which method did they use or or suggestions regarding the correct approach. Price isnt part of the equation (yet!) just unsure re different methods. TIA :)

tweake, Jul 2, 2:11pm
whats the access like under the house?
if there is plenty of room why rip out the flooring ?

a lot of people who buy those homes like the original floors. but if its in poor condition i can understand removing it.
quite often any good timber that comes off is very valuable.
i remember many years ago one place i was working on, they where stripping a lot of the native timber out and replacing it with modern walls. the native timber was to be sold and they where expecting it to pay for the whole renovation.
i don't know if that would be true today.

angelah1, Jul 2, 2:19pm
thanks - there is 3 ft or so under but quite damp. Floor boards not great and wont get a whole house lot.

tweake, Jul 2, 2:38pm
to level it all they have to do is get the jacks under there. can't see why they would have to rip out floor boards for that.

if you have carpeted areas, you could remove the floor in those areas and use any good timber for repairs in other areas.

once leveling is done, make sure the slope of the ground under the house is good, fill holes up. make sure drainage is good.
then install ground vapor barrier.
then install insulation. i recommend polyester. i wouldn't recommend polystyrene when you have sealed floors (polyurethane, oiled, vinyl etc) otherwise water could form and build up in-between the polystyrene and the floor. not to mention a major pain to fit it.
polyester is much easier to fit and will still allow the floor to dry.

angelah1, Jul 2, 3:43pm
thanks - why would the builder suggest lifting all the floors do you think?

tweake, Jul 2, 3:49pm
possibly didn't look to see how much space is underneath.
most homes of that age are typically very close to the dirt.

booko, Jul 3, 10:24am
Perhaps he is wanting to check for rot?The rental I am in had some serious rot in the passage way.

melford, Jul 3, 1:16pm
Contact Smartlift Dunedin they are the experts. 0508 762 785

angelah1, Oct 23, 10:18pm
? Thanks - but want the house releveled not moved