Growing feijoas successfully in Central Otago

macandrosie, Apr 9, 10:30pm
I saw someone recently advertising feijoas for sale at Luggate! I live in Southland & the only way I can extend the growing season of my plant is by growing it in a tunnel house. My variety is "Unique" self fertile. Have 2 more outside but in a north facing position. Does anyone have any tips for growing in cooler regions please?

lythande1, Apr 10, 7:57am
Southland and Otago are not the same climate. Southland has a short growing season and cooler summers than Otago.
I think you're stuck with the glasshouses.
Why not just ask? Up here the things are weeds. I knew people who were always trying to offload them.

Me, I loathe them, I'll stick with passionfruit and kiwifruit.

venna2, Apr 10, 8:24am
I LOVE feijoas! This morning I'm making a feijoa and orange cake for a meeting this afternoon.

lythande1, Apr 10, 2:47pm
Swap some swede for feijoa perhaps? Up here you can't get proper swede, just small, fibrous, bitter things.

atea07, Apr 10, 3:41pm
at Woodville lady selling 3kg bags for $5.00.yum yum yum brought 4 bags

macandrosie, Apr 11, 7:27pm
I bought the Tagan variety last year

macandrosie, Apr 11, 7:30pm
If the swedes are bitter they may be the HT variety which is primarily for stock. although if they don't like it either so maybe humans shouldn't eat it! We lost cows to HT swedes a few years ago. To me it's Highly Toxic! Sposed to be resistant to disease & can tolerate being sprayed to rule out weed growth over the season - if I remember rightly! Bit off the track sorry!

venna2, Apr 12, 4:08pm
For best pollination, it's best to get two trees, Tagan 1 and Tagan 2.

macandrosie, Apr 16, 11:38am
Sorry I didn't buy Tagan, I bought Triumph & Mammoth as a pollinating pair.

sanders4, Nov 25, 1:07am
I can do a deal hopefully - I send you feijoas and you send me central otago pinoir noir ? thanks in anticipation