Can I fix my mower myself?

jan2242, Dec 16, 10:15am
The throttle seems to jam so you can't turn it off. Is it possible for me to fix this and the local place charges a fortune.

sunnysue1, Dec 16, 10:27am
motor mower throttle jamming
I just put that in Google and it came up with Handyman suggestions. Have to say I am surprised at how much I can do thanks to Google. Good luck

ianab, Dec 16, 10:49am
Possibly, but it's going to involve taking things apart, clean and lubricating some stuff around (and in) the carburettor and governor area. Exactly what is going to depend on what model mower. Googling the model of the mower or motor may give you some more clues. Small engines aren't rocket science, but you will need some basic tools, and not be scared of getting your hands dirty.

Hint, take pics with your cellphone as you take things apart. Helps when you want to put it back together again.

r.g.nixon, Dec 16, 10:54am
Use a stick to hook the cord off the sparkplug. Just don't do it with your hand, in wet grass, unless you want to get a shock that makes you jump 6 feet in the air - a lesson well learnt.

mojo49, Dec 16, 11:36am
Quite likely that all it needs is the cable lubricating and/or adjusting. Getting some tips from Google as to how to do it sounds like a good idea.

jan2242, Dec 16, 12:10pm
Thanks for the tips. Will look at google and see if it helps.

budgel, Dec 18, 10:18am
Have a look at the engine end of the cable. You may be able to loosen a screw and move the cable in the direction it needs to go. When an engine wont turn off, it is usually only a millimeter or so of adjustment required.

bill1451, Jan 26, 8:40am
buy yourself a can of CRC or WD40, mowers will have a wire from the ignition
that shorts to the frame of the motor(near the end of the cable) on low throttle, find that wire and short it with a screwdriver until you get the sticky throttle cable sorted, its not rocket science or brain surgery we,re doing here.