How to kill a Wisteria stump?

ambo11, Mar 10, 12:28pm
10 years ago I planted a Wisteria, cut it down 3 years ago but have a battle with the damned thing constantly popping up again. today I found shoots 30cm high across the driveway, so it has sent them 4 metres under concrete.
Wondering if I dig all around the stump (where the majority of shoots are) and pour 10 litres of petrol over and around it will work? Realise it will ruin that spot, but I'm happy with that as its unusable now anyway.
Cheers

flier3, Mar 10, 12:38pm
It's a devil of a thing to get rid of, isn't it! I cut it right back to ground level and sprayed it with Roundup. Still after eight years it ends up shoots over the garden and I am continually spraying it with Roundup. Good luck with it!
PS: I wonder if a bamboo 'glue-stick' would do the trick?

christin, Mar 10, 12:43pm
Ugh.

I cut mine down, put woody weed killer on it, then 20cms of soil, plus weed at, plus stones

Five years later still get the Damn thing growing thru

gilligee, Mar 10, 1:32pm
Woody weed killer.

articferrit, Mar 10, 3:02pm
drill holes down through the stump and put straight woody weedkiller in the holes.

pauldw, Mar 10, 4:21pm
Very likely. The Cut'n'paste instructions emphasize that the gel must go on immediately after the stump is cut before the cut end starts sealing itself.

lakeview3, Mar 10, 4:35pm
I would get a chainsaw and knick cuts into it and put woody weed killer on

maclad, Mar 10, 5:21pm
All good advice apart from Roundup. They are devils to get rid of and it can take many years. Persist everytime it appears and treat fresh made cuts soon after cutting off the shoots.

starseeker, Mar 10, 7:17pm
Yep, had mine coming up for years, even tho I dug down so far I had to reach in up to my armpits!

But I solved the problem - I moved!

maclad, Mar 10, 7:28pm
Best solution I have heard so far, who needs to live with a triffid

madspinna, Mar 10, 9:24pm
I killed Ivy which was sending up shoots everywhere by pouring boiling water over shoots as they appeared, used leftover water in the electric jug as well as that using for cooking vegetables. Took a while but worked.

kerryalan, Mar 11, 9:33am
Try Vigilant but be aware that it may transfer to the roots of nearby plants. See https://www.plantandfood.co.nz/file/vigilant-faqs.pdf

gypsymeg, Dec 5, 11:59am
I cut down two big plants last year, chainsawed some holes in stumps, poued straight weed killer in and left it, stumps have rotted and no regrowth, was a roundup type weed killer