Where to for kiwi fruit plants south island

fogs, Jan 2, 1:43am
Banned for sale because of psa

harrislucinda, Jan 2, 9:21am
x1
i have 2 just going wild as never pruned have never flowered i know 1 is female think the male died so the next vine i dont know

hunter__, Jan 2, 9:10pm
Not having much luck with garden centres, Fogs has it right I think, may be possible to get some from Nelson, which is PSA free and hopefully not subject to movement control.

fogs, Jan 8, 11:46pm
No it is a nationwide ban, garden centres and nurseys aren't allowed to propagate grow or sell the kiwifruit plants

nzoomed, Jan 9, 11:26am
How is anybody supposed to get them then?

Its only the gold variety that is affected by PSA anyway.

hunter__, Jan 9, 7:03pm
Heres a cut and paste from Trademe's restricted list, its a bit more of a drama than I thought, do they grow from seed?

Plants
You may not list plants that are on The National Pest Plant Accord, which can be found at Protect New Zealand.

You may not list kiwifruit plant material including kiwifruit budwood, kiwifruit pollen or kiwifruit firewood.

You may not list pea straw or pea seed that originated from anywhere in the whole Wairarapa region, including south of Pahiatua. This is to help prevent the spread of pea-weevil help prevent the spread of pea-weevil.

brouser3, Jan 9, 8:06pm
It affects green as well. A lot of work has gone into managing PSA in orchards to minimize the effect it has on plants as well as a concerted effort by Zespri to develop PSA resistant varieties that are also attractive to the market. Apart from the PSA thing, Zespri wants to protect its market for the varieties that it develops, henceforth the only way to get those plants is to be a commercial grower and go through the process of tendering for a licence which allows growing of the prescribed area/number of plants.

golfdiver, Jan 9, 11:14pm
Nonsense. Only licensed varieties are controlled.
https://tepukenurseries.co.nz/

hunter__, Jan 10, 12:07pm
No, gave them a ring, they wouldn't sell to the south island unfortunately

harrislucinda, Jan 10, 4:12pm
what happens if you still have plants are you made to dig up

golfdiver, Jan 10, 5:02pm
But it isn’t a nationwide ban like the poster inferred

annies3, Jan 10, 6:18pm
Did you try Waimea nurseries in Nelson. They are a great nursery.

frank398, Jan 11, 6:35pm
x1
Mitre 10 Greymouth,have them for sale,so they must be available else where.

nzoomed, Jan 15, 1:00pm
cant you just grow them from seeds?

harrislucinda, Jan 15, 1:28pm
dont know if you get a male and a female plant out of seeds

hunter__, Dec 28, 11:57am
Have a north facing under poly spot that I would like to try a couple of kiwi fruit vines, where can we buy them in the south island please? i believe all the north island pants are subject to movement control, so can't have those. Ta

holly-rocks, Mar 22, 6:09pm
Mitre 10 and any good nursery should have them :)