How to kill Acanthus Mollis/ Bears britches

karmae, Oct 3, 3:00pm
Have an old veg garden with roses round edge and birds of paradise.
There was a few acanthus mollis.

Over the years they have taken over. I pull all out and they come back even more. Couple weeks ago I did it again trying to get as many roots as possible, I now have the most I've ever had.
So I will have to resort to weed killer, but read various so don't know what to try, dont want to waste my time if what I do wont work
So read:
1) Roundup won't work, need 2 weedkillers together.
2) Paint leaves with weed killer
3) Pull of leaves and paint fresh exposed stems

My preference would be cut off leaves and paint fresh stems with roundup, I know I will have to repeat on new growth. I though roundup as won't go through soil, and other plants should be alright as long as I dont get any on them.
Opinions be appreciated

harrislucinda, Oct 3, 3:05pm
what ? bird of paradise love that have a small one inside are you going to kill that of as well
round up like giving a drink could you try woody weed killer

karmae, Oct 3, 3:34pm
"round up like giving a drink could you try woody weed killer"

Dont understand what u are saying, no don't want to kill roses or bird of paradise. Doesnt wood week killer go thru soil

harrislucinda, Oct 3, 8:27pm
x1
Acanthus mollis, also known as bear's breeches. Don't let the cute name fool you - this plant is a real pain in the you-know-what. It's invasive, it spreads like wildfire, and it's more stubborn than a toddler in a toy store. So, how do you kill it? Well, my dear reader, let me tell you: it's not going to be easy. But with a little determination, some elbow grease, and maybe a few choice expletives, you can do it.

First things first: identify your enemy. Acanthus mollis is a perennial with large, glossy, spiky leaves and tall, showy flower spikes. It's often used in landscaping because of its attractive foliage and blooms, but trust me, you don't want this bad boy taking over your yard.

Now, on to the killing part. There are a few methods you can try, depending on how aggressive you want to be.

Method 1: Dig It Up
This is the most straightforward method, but also the most labor-intensive. Grab a shovel, dig up the entire plant (including the roots), and dispose of it in the trash (not the compost pile!). Be sure to wear gloves and protective clothing, as the plant can irritate the skin. And don't be surprised if the roots put up a fight - they're notoriously tough.

Method 2: Smother It
If you don't feel like digging, you can try smothering the plant instead. Cover it with a thick layer of mulch or newspaper, making sure to completely block out the sun. This method takes longer, as you'll need to keep the plant covered for several months, but it's less labor-intensive and won't disturb the soil as much.

Method 3: Chemical Warfare
For the more aggressive among us, there's always the option of using an herbicide. Look for a product that's specifically designed for killing perennials, and follow the instructions carefully. Be aware that this method can harm other plants in the area, so use with caution.

But let's be real, this plant is so tough it might just outlive us all. So if all else fails, just learn to embrace your new plant overlords and hope they don't start making any demands. Good luck, and happy gardening!

colin433, Oct 4, 2:17pm
I think you're on the right track with cutting stems then painting. I used to promote roundup as part of a job I did, their slogan was Kills them all, roots and all, so it's supposed to go through the system of the plant and kill as it goes.
much better to paint the stems than to spray. Go for it, and let us know how successful you were. I actually quite like acanthus, but they do present their problems, and I couldn't grow them here for various reasons.

karmae, Mar 14, 7:10am
x1
If you're dealing with a serious weed problem and you're willing to shell out some extra cash for a specialized product, Acanthus weedkiller might be worth a try. Just be sure to use it carefully and responsibly, and keep an eye out for any unintended casualties!

Pros of Acanthus weedkiller:
- It's effective. Acanthus weedkiller is specifically designed to target and eliminate tough weeds like thistles and nettles, so if you've got a serious weed problem, this stuff will do the trick.
- It's easy to use. Just spray it on the weeds and watch them wilt away.
- It's relatively fast-acting. You should see results within a few days of application.

Cons of Acanthus weedkiller:
- It's not selective. Like most herbicides, Acanthus weedkiller will kill any plant it comes into contact with, not just the weeds you're trying to get rid of. So if you accidentally spray it on your prized petunias, they'll be goners.
- It's not environmentally friendly. Acanthus weedkiller contains chemicals that can leach into the soil and water, potentially harming wildlife and contaminating our natural resources.
- It's not the cheapest option. Acanthus weedkiller is a specialized product, so it tends to be more expensive than generic herbicides.