Advice on repairing breadmakers

irenew, Nov 17, 10:19pm
Our Panasonic SD-2501 has been wonderful over the past 4 or 5 years, but the past few loaves have not been properly cooked in the middle and I'm wondering if there's a problem with the machine's heating. I'd love to be able to get it repaired, but fear in our throw-away society that no one fixes things anymore.

aprilguy, Nov 17, 11:35pm
Hello, I have a different breadmaker but I think the heating element is unlikely to be the cause; they tend to work properly or not at all. Have you changed the variety of flour or type of yeast perhaps?
Maybe you could change the crust setting to Dark (to extend cook time) or try a simple white bread recipe - does it undercook all recipes?

mack77, Nov 18, 1:15am
It's usually not economic to repair small appliances now.
It certainly sounds like an unusual fault; are you sure that you haven't changed something.
What I would do is make the usual recipe and then select "dough-either 16 or 18". Place the dough in a bread pan, allow it to rise then bake it in your oven for about 45 minutes at about 137 degrees centigrade. This will enable you to determine whether it's the recipe or the SD 2501 that is at fault.
If you don't have an oven you could allow it to rise in the SD 2501 and then select "15" and set for 50 minutes to bake the loaf.

mack77, Nov 18, 1:17am
Have you checked your owners manual to see if they list the cause of the problem that you have?

tmenz, Nov 18, 8:26am
Sounds like the heater regulator may be defective. Whether it's an electromechanical (simmerstat) or electronic regulator, it should be repairable. If it's electronic, faulty (aging) capacitors(s) are immediately suspected.
A competent appliance serviceman should be able to repair it - it's just a matter of how much you're prepared to spend to get it done.

As above, read the troubleshooting section of the manual.
Give the Panasonic Customer Service dept a ring, tell them all about it and see if there's a known problem and/or remedy.

tmenz, Nov 18, 8:46am
Or possibly, the internal temperature sensing device (thermistor) has become defective or loose/detached?
Many possibilities.

cantabman1, Nov 18, 9:50am
The real problem is, as soon as you take it to a serviceman/shop there is a minimum charge; usually $30 or more just to look at it without any guarantee of repair.

irenew, Nov 18, 1:09pm
Thanks for all the comments. Much appreciated. I use the Gluten Free setting, as I'm gluten intolerant. I make the same loaf most of the time and it used to turn out fine. I did fear that I'd pay a hefty amount to get it seen by a repairman. Will check with Panasonic at any rate.

irenew, Nov 18, 1:24pm
Thanks for this. I mainly use the Gluten free setting, so am unable to alter much about it. I should make a normal loaf just to see how it turns out, though am reluctant to waste ingredients.

brightlights60, Feb 9, 10:44am
Contact the company who has the servicing contract for them. We too have a Panasonic and it gets used regularly with absolutely no problems. We have had all brands, the longest before this was a Sunbeam. The Panasonic is really reliable (and expensive). Something like that I would be looking at getting a price to get fixed. Get a quote, if its cheaper to buy a new one then do so. You could just have got a dud.