Best material for vege garden paths

2girls3, Oct 14, 1:42pm
I am wondering what people recommend for garden paths between vege planter boxes. Maybe something to detract slugs and snails. Any recommendations appreciated.

budgel, Oct 14, 1:49pm
Crushed shells fit your brief.

lythande1, Oct 14, 2:13pm
Snails do not actually have a problem with crossing shell, gravel or anything else like that you know.

spiritofgonzo, Oct 14, 3:42pm
yep that’s right, it’s a myth. Suggest something cheap and local in your area that you’re comfortable walking on in bare feet when rushing out to pick lettuce leaves in the morning- maybe a pea gravel, depending on what stone is local to you.

aisling8, Oct 14, 4:40pm
Maybe Lime. Doesn't seem to grow weeds on it once it is settled.Easy on the feet as well .Does anything stop the slugs and snails?

docsportello, Oct 14, 6:09pm
Lava. Lets see them get past that!

spider47, Oct 14, 9:29pm
Tree mulch from Hamilton recycler at $12.50 a trailer load, which my back tells me was 13 wheelbarrows full shovelled everywhere. Good to walk on and if gts on the lawn at all just chops up in the mower.

ridgeline, Oct 14, 9:35pm
Hi,

I have used Lime Chip over weed matting between my planter boxes. Lime chip at approx 50mm deep

happychappy50, Oct 14, 11:10pm
I have used stone chips,abt 40 mm deep,had no issue with snails/slugs could be because the boxes have been coated with a mixture of boiled linseed oil & diesel.Has been this way for over 4 yrs & is great,no drainage issues either.

trad, Mar 6, 5:40pm
I cut my evergreen prunings into short lengths and us that.