Yates Weed & Feed and the vege garden

tub4, Dec 31, 8:23pm
I believe Weed & Feed is the reason more people are now having a weed free lawn, I know for me it's been the easy no fuss way to apply with a garden hose thats had me using Weed & Feed twice a year.

christin, Dec 31, 8:28pm
You can get weed and feed in granuar for now too I think.

datoofairy, Dec 31, 2:24am
I want to spray my lawn with Weed & Feed, but my vege garden is along one side. Will the Weed & Feed be harmful to my peas, beans and tomatoes?

maclad, Dec 31, 2:43am
It will most certainly if you get any spray drift on your plants and summer veges are very susceptible to weed sprays. Now is not the best time anyway as it is too hot and dry. Best done when cooler and lawn and weeds are actively growing.

datoofairy, Dec 31, 3:01am
Thanks Maclad. Although I have to say my lawn and the weeds in are very actively growing. Maybe its the cooler climate down here? I'm sick of mowing the lawns and the very next day the daisy's are so tall it looks like the lawns havent even been done at all.
My garden is tiny, less than 2m long x .5m wide. I wonder if I can shield it all with tarpaulin while I spray the lawn? I'm pretty sure I can fully enclose the veges, and if I leave it that way for several hours after I spray the lawn, they should be ok, right? Or no?

tweake, Dec 31, 3:20am
weed and feeds are a horrible product.
much better to use whats actually needed.

both fert and some herbicides are available in granule form.
failing that use a proper sprayer and make sure any wind is away from your garden.
yates weed and feed is just turfix and fert.

maclad, Dec 31, 3:20am
a bit of trouble to go to but it should work. Weed and feed is a broadleaf killer so will damage or kill most plants except grass if you are not careful. My own opinion of W&F is that it cannot be applied accurately so could cause damage.

dibble35, Dec 31, 4:29am
I used this product about a month ago. I managed to accidently spray 1 tomato plant and 1 grapevine. I just got the hose off and quickly rinsed them down, they were fine. I was quite impressed with the weed side of it. Havnt had to mow my lawns for 3.5weeks now as no daisys or dandelions poking their heads up and as its so hot and dry actual grass isn't growing that fast. It was super easy to apply. The only things id do diff next time would be to lock the cats inside and do it on a less windy day.

maclad, Apr 1, 4:52pm
Always spray early in the AM or late PM when there is less wind. You were lucky to get away with spraying your plants even tho you washed them down.