Anyone using vege garden planning software / apps?

sooby, Oct 29, 10:02pm
Hi guys,

I'm constantly forgetting dates of when I plant, so struggle to know when a crop is due for harvest. Have taken to writing sow dates on a whiteboard but was wondering if anyone uses software to make it easier?

I know there are plenty of apps & software out there, but often it is aimed at those in Northern hemisphere, so not much help here if seasons are backwards!

lythande1, Oct 30, 12:55pm
Never used such a thing in 39 years of vege gardening.
Never remember to write it on the calendar either, those few times husband has wanted to keep track.
We harvest when the stuff is ready. most things are an ongoing pick. some, like the grapes are ready all within a couple of weeks. So you check for ripeness, then pick. Does it really matter? Even potatoes, generally after the plant dies. although you can dig before that, you'll just have smaller ones.

loukirby, Oct 31, 5:24am
I use a gardening calendar and note dates for when I sow seed, expected germination and maturity timeframes, then I note if it differs. Some stuff takes longer to germinate so gives me a good reference. It helpful when I keep seeds, so I have that info available. I also draw diagrams so I know where I put the seeds, and planted crops for crop rotation and planning for next season vege.

rita197, Feb 23, 11:08pm
. Sow dates are shown on the seed packet and also shows diagram of NZ and the season to plant in specific areas of NZ. An NZ online vege garden calendar diagram would give you all the info.