Year round self sufficient vege garden.

colandra1, Jan 20, 7:34am
Does anyone have perhaps a link with a good step by step plan for a year round vege garden? When to sow, when to harvest and the rotation so we have veges all year. Do you generally plant a new row every couple of weeks? I have just started and was a bit over eager and planted too many things to be ready at once. We eat heaps of spinich, lettuce, broccoli, and I love mashed potatos, yams, scarlett runner beans etc. Thought I may as well save a fortune and do it myself!

spider47, Jan 20, 9:41am
I don't know of any links but I like your concept. there are heaps of veggies and fruit that overlap. There will be books at the libraries and websites you will find. have fun experimenting.

floralsun, Jan 20, 9:42am
I'm aiming to do the same - and found this site a big help:
http://www.gardengrow.co.nz/ You can change the area to fit where you live near the top where the 1, 2, 3 is. There's also www.ooooby.co.nz - Out of our own back yard - where you can connect with people growing edibles in your area

There are sometimes facebook pages relevant to growing edibles in many areas too - search the name of your town/area and there may be some. Enjoy all those fresh and tasty veges you'll grow yourself.

maccachic1, Jan 20, 10:50pm
Mine goes year round but im not very scientific about it, when I take stuff out I put stuff back in. Kings seeds (prob all brands as well) have a planting indicator on the back so I just use those.

Last winter I picked almost all the leaves off my lettuce and left the roots in they keep regrowing all winter. Hasn't worked as well in the summer with the heat however.

annies3, Jan 21, 2:10am
Yes we grow all year round there is always something ready in the garden, some veges take ages like yams they are planted when the potatoes go in and are not harvested till autumn, we plant potatoes in batches so have early young ones then leave some to mature, always have beetroot later, parsnips, lots of carrots also green stuff like silver beet, cabbage, broccoli, lettuce celery and fruit like strawberries, black berries, gooseberries, apples and apricots, although there are only a couple this season. well worth the effort, we have tomatoes in the conservatory by the kitchen, but this year they are not great.

lythande1, Mar 25, 6:43am
We just plant things as we want them. peas come out, beans go in etc.
Easier here though where there are no frosts. And some things, beans, capsicums, tomatoes, have to have the warm weather. Some have to have cool - swedes for instance.