Which apricot tree to buy ?

pauline999, May 18, 8:07pm
I've noticed that the garden centres are selling fruit trees and I'm waiting for the apricots to appear - but which type do I get ? They are for eating straight from the tree rather than bottling or jam making. Suggestions please ?

bryshaw, May 19, 11:37am
I thought apricots liked a colder climate. Auckland has the peach stone borer which can decimate stone fruit.

harrislucinda, May 19, 1:09pm
i popped in stones from my sisters apricot tree no name but was yumm so few weeks ago transplanted trees into a permit place morpac ? is a good juicy eating

loukirby, May 19, 1:36pm
I have Sundrop and its pollinator Trevatt.

crazynana, May 19, 2:03pm
Moorpark is the best tasting I think. They have quite a tangy but sewwt flavour. We had a tree when I was a kid and it was very prolific fruiting.

les6, May 19, 5:18pm
the trevatt will be a bit later but taste way better than the sundrop,a nice looking fruit but thats about it?

dibble35, May 19, 7:00pm
If you're in Auckland (as your profile shows) you need to get an apricot that will do well with less chilling hours. Royal Rosa, Trevatt, Katycot, Aprigold dwarf, or Fitzroy. These are the ones I buy in for our nursery up in Whangarei when I can get them.

annies3, Nov 8, 5:54pm
Mmm Morpark beautiful old variety.
We have a Clutha Late producing well here, quite ordinary to look at but beautiful to eat or for cooking.