Looking at house to buy, garage built over sewerag

joplin2, Jul 17, 7:51am
sewerage pipe. Must be illegal. So re-pipe? if I end up buying. I believe properties have to be 'safe and sanitary'. What to do ?

survivalkiwi, Jul 17, 7:55am
I have a sewer pipe under my house. It is quite normal. My house is currently under construction.

masturbidder, Jul 17, 9:00am
Pipes can be 'bridged' with concrete, then built over. There are limits on the distances to piles etc.

cagivachick1, Jul 17, 9:06am
we built a garage over a sewer pipe, had to renew it and cover with concrete

aredwood, Jul 17, 12:36pm
Check who owns that sewer pipe. You? Council? Neighbour? And check that the garage has been allowed to be built over it.

trade4us2, Jul 17, 12:41pm
The Council said that if I wanted to build a garage over their sewer pipe I would have to put in an inspection hatch on both sides of the garage.
The location of their pipe was wrong on their map. I moved house!

stevo2, Jul 17, 5:45pm
Most houses are built over a sewerage pipe - otherwise how does the sewerage get from the inside toilet to outside?
More to the point, is your garage permitted to run over the pipe?

lythande1, Jul 17, 7:09pm
Actually you will notice the pipe from the toilet is either down through the floor or out the wall. it is not covered over with anything.

You may not worry but ask any drainage professional what happens if you need repairs and everything is covered with concrete.

pestri, Jul 17, 8:20pm
Thi s. if you have a concrete floor slab and internal toilets any distance from an external wall. then you most certainly have a sewer pipe under your house. Mine extends under the bathroom floor, beneath the entrance foyer and under the drive slab to the road. But I have noted very well the rodding points during construction.

pauldw, Jul 17, 9:20pm
What do you imagine "down through the floor" means with concrete slabs?

trade4us2, Jul 17, 10:13pm
It has not been stated yet by the OP whether or not it's a Council sewer pipe.

pestri, Jul 17, 11:23pm
yes there will be a difference.

underconstructy, Jul 18, 2:24am
This is gold!

stevo2, Jul 18, 4:11am
This is the reason us tradies dont hang out in here much these days

budgel, Jul 19, 7:12am
I think the OP is talking about the house being built over a sewer MAIN for want of a better term.
I would check the LIM & site plans, and if it is all legal and above board, make your own decision.

joplin2, Nov 19, 1:13pm
The GARAGE has been built over the pipe from a septic tank. A drainlayer has told me that an inspection hatch (for unblocking) can be built either side of the garage. New pipes can be built. Council file is a mess with many 'red flags' over property with ccc's unissued. A 'safe and sanitary' inspection can be conducted by a registered authorised (by council) company. It covers unissued ccc's etc. Pay them (it may fail inspection), pay council ($250).