Where do you buy bags of Hydrated Lime for Render

c-l, Aug 31, 8:39am
Where in the Waikato do you buy Hydrated Lime, suitable for adding to Cement Render. http://nzlandscape.co.nz/product/mcdonalds-hydrated-lime/

budgel, Aug 31, 10:20pm
Ring around the building supplies companies like Placemakers etc.

blueviking, Sep 1, 4:52am
Why. You don't need lime in plaster.Cemplus. I think it has been banned anyway.

zak410, Sep 1, 5:12am
Really?
I got few bags from Placemakers a few years ago.

ae64, Sep 1, 12:01pm
Hey C-L - saw your question on FB - McDonalds Lime - you can buy it anywhere in the Waikato, it comes from Te Kuiti. Placemakers sell it, garden centres etc. Look for the words "hydrated lime" not ILF or Lime Flour. There aren't many old school solid plasterers around who bother with lime, as you've discovered most plasterers buy premixed Betty Crocker style products. BE CAREFUL with lime! - it gives you an alkali burn - what looks like a skin graze today will be an open wound tomorrow - glasses and gloves - add lime to water not water to lime - will go back and look at FB

blueviking, Sep 1, 7:51pm
I've only been solid plastering since 1980 and never used lime. Cheapo plasterers use it instead of cement. A bag of lime will save you about 3 bags of cement, that's why they use it. You should soak it in water first as it sits on a shelf absorbing moisture and gets tiny lumps in it.
Banned as in using it in plaster render.

treens2, Sep 2, 3:12am
Not sure if you have mitre10 up your way, buy mine from there, use it to control mites in chook sheds, also available down here from farm stores used to control bugs in calf sheds

ae64, Sep 2, 7:41am
blueviking - your ignorance is astounding - NZS4251 2007 Solid Plastering clause 2.2.3 discusses admixtures and expressly provides for the use of hydrated lime complying with AS 1672.1 and further in table 3 tells you in what ratios and on what substrates - shame on you! - I'm LBP plasterer and your comments are a good example of what is wrong with our industry

blueviking, Sep 2, 8:02pm
Lbp means nothing. I've seen the standard of some lbp plasterers. I'd be ashamed to be associated with them.They're the ones that are wrong with our trade. And why resene now sell so much Limelock.

ae64, Sep 3, 6:50am
blue viking you've clearly an LBP otherwise you ain't working - no LBP = no work.

And yeah sure, there are some LBP plasterers who can't do a flat wall - they leave the industry cause they can't keep their clientbase satisfied and ultimately run out of work.

Your Resene Limelock primer reference is lost on me. . limelock is a primer used to bind the free lime that's present in all cement products - read again. ALL CEMENT PRODUCTS - got nothing to do quality of work.

Looking forward to future comments

cagivachick1, Sep 3, 7:45am
my husband is a LBP plasterer as well, he started plastering in 1975 and never uses lime in his mixes BUT the sand we have here in Dn is probably the best plastering sand in NZ and lime not required. also he has no problem getting walls flat, angles sharp etc

blueviking, Sep 3, 9:38pm
According to the license authority, you only need a lbp if you are doing cavity systems, as it supposedly takes someone with an expensive license to be able to do this type of work(even though in most cases I know, only the boss is licensed and the lackeys are not)
On masonry homes, the blocky signs off the walls and the chippies the window installation. The plasterer is just putting a decorative coating on(similar to just painting the blocks, but the painter doesn't have to be licensed)If the plasterer signs off his plastering, he is signing for the blockwork and the window installation.
A chippie said to me the other day, "yes , but it's the paint that is the waterproofing" and that my friend, is what we have to put up with. As I say to them, "so you think it's the paint that keeps water in a concrete water tank?"
I live in a plastered house that, according to NZS is completely wrong.Yet it's over 20 yrs old(it was a reno) and I have no watertightness issues. Some rooms weren't gibbed for 10 years, but according to NZS, every time it rains I should be flooded with water.

laspaz, Sep 3, 9:42pm
Farmlands is where I got a sack.

ae64, Oct 7, 6:08pm
Other folk read this stuff blue viking and its important that they, and you, get the right info

Any work that stops water ingress is Restricted Building Work. You are required to be LBP if you are involved. End of story.

If someone builds a block building (see NZBC E2/AS1, follow reference to Masonry homes - CCCANZ CCOP 2014 applies) it is not watertight and several waterproofing options are listed. If plastering is selected as the waterproofing system it is Restricted Work - you need to be LBP.

You can avoid plastering as the by choosing one the other waterproofing options afforded in CCOP - and paint is one of them - but you will need an LBP to take responsibility.