Why wont my Rhubarb grow.?

sue164, Oct 17, 12:06pm
We live up in north auckland

harrislucinda, Oct 17, 12:20pm
have mine as loaded here just picked some to give away
are putting manure over when dies down not much more to do as easy to grow

samanya, Oct 17, 12:24pm
It likes a lot of feeding, sheep pellets etc.

colin433, Oct 17, 1:19pm
some that we bought was very slow, others that we were given are racing away, I have no idea why some grow and others don't, but I DO have heaps now, which I'm loving. Sorry to crow about it.
As samanya said, it needs a lot of feeding.

lythande1, Oct 17, 2:19pm
Because you live in Auckland.
It's a cold climate crop really.

docsportello, Oct 17, 2:59pm
sing to it.

rhubaaarb, rhubaaaard, don't make me rue the day. rhubarrrb ROOOBAAAAARB it's time to grow todaaaay

webworth, Oct 17, 5:11pm
and lots of water.

articferrit, Oct 17, 5:24pm
There is summer and winter rhubarb, mine grows all year round so doesnt know what it is. It needs heaps of fertiliser etc as its a gross feeder, I used to bury fish and possum bodies under mine when I divided it, which it needs every so often as well.

samanya, Oct 17, 7:37pm
Yep & that.
My Rhubarb supplies me all year round, even in my climate.

lythande1, Oct 17, 10:40pm
Note most of these growers are down South.
You can. but it will struggle in Akld. Like raspberries and swedes.
Put it in the shade in a cool part of the section. and find a friend there that you can swap with.

I have one in Oxford, I send her Lisbon lemons and passionfruit and she sends me swedes.

LOL

shanreagh, Oct 17, 10:53pm
They like potash. In fact i saw once that they are 'gross feeders' of potash.

tegretol, Oct 18, 12:17am
You sure it's not being pinched - I heard there are plenty of "Rhurbarb Partys" being held up north.

punkinthefirst, Oct 18, 2:30am
I'll tell you my (long dead) mother's secret.
The family home was on the steep hill heading out of Te Kuiti. too steep for the elephants to be transported by truck when the circus left town. So Mum was always out there at such times with buckets (plural) and a shovel to gather gold for her rhubarb and other plants as they walked past.
No help for you, I'm sorry, but other animal manure would be a good substitute.
Thought you'd enjoy the story.

cantabman1, Oct 18, 8:25am
The above post is bang on! they love all kinds of poo.
Mine wasn't doing that great, so i went to a friends place who has chickens and gathered up a bucket full feeding my two plants; hey presto, within two weeks they had taken off producing very large leaves.
I had the same problem with some silver beet i had planted and gave them a dose to, with the same results.

cleggyboy, Mar 4, 2:42pm
Animal manure especially cows is great for rhubarb, just chuck on the ground around the plant and let the rain wash it in.