Best Mulch Mower?

skifflebar, Nov 9, 9:09am
So, following on from the journey to erradicate most of the weeds from the lawn we are considering mulch mowing. I understand it is beneficial to the soil PLUS it may save time and should aid in reducing costs for garden waste disposal.
Are there any recommendations on best/better mulcher mowers? Should a dedicated machine be chosen over a dual duty one?
Thanks for your direction.

harrislucinda, Nov 9, 9:12am
not sure of a brand but one hint every now and again cut low as i remember my mum had one -- lawn got higher and higher it was like walking on a sponge dont think she understood how it worked except not having a catcher

issymae, Nov 9, 3:30pm
told not to keep doing that -lawn needs dethatching and scarifying more often if it is mulched- lawn looks better this year with mowing slightly higher and using catcher

amasser, Nov 9, 5:37pm
issymae wrote:
told not to keep doing that -lawn needs dethatching and scarifying more often if it is mulched- lawn looks better this year with mowing slightly higher and using catcher[/q

Better to leave grass a bit longer, especially in Summer, to retain moisture. If lawns are scalped, which do you think will revive stronger - grass or weeds?

ianab, Nov 9, 6:18pm
I think the thatch probably depends on your climate. I've been running a mulched lawn for the last 15 years here in Taranaki. The wet climate means the clippings rot down / get eaten by worms pretty well. But the longer grass and "compost" layer means the lawn stays pretty green without water, even if we get a dry summer.

Might be different in a drier climate where the clippings take longer to break down?

All the mulchers cut a bit longer than most people set their catchers. You need enough grass left to hide the chopped grass so it can break down. You just have to deal with that, and accept it's not a bowling green. Also I suspect it will take a while for the worm population to build up, and they are part of the system.

fordcrzy, Nov 9, 7:29pm
our lawnmaster did a pretty decent job at mulching

electromic, Nov 9, 9:02pm
I mulch our lawn for most of the year, both my 2 stroke victa and 4 stroke masport have mulch plugs. They do a great job, usually mulch on level 5-7 with the victa, 4-5 on the masport. Both mowers have 4 blades on a disc.

tweake, Nov 9, 10:32pm
not sure of you can even get dedicated mulcher.
i have a masport which is great.
general rule is to mow high and often. mulching doesn't handle a lot of grass.
if it gets to long you will need to catch it.

i would go with 4 bladed mowers. you want to mulch as fine as possible.

xs1100, Nov 10, 5:24pm
have a masport with a insert and normally set to 4

hidecote01, Feb 16, 3:18pm
Yes I bought a Lawnmaster mulcher from Mitre 10 a year ago and I think its fine as long as the lawn isn't too wet and then the grass clumps a bit. I have a good quarter acre of lawn so its good in not having to get rid of the clippings.