Spraying your own house for flies etc

rose-murray, Nov 28, 5:44pm
Quite a few years ago we used to use a product that ame in a sachet that you dissolved in water and sprayed the outside of the house for flies and spiders. We suddenly found we couldn't get it any more and haven't been able to find a substitute. Anyone recommend a spray ?

maddie44, Nov 28, 6:11pm
We have used this in the past with good results
https://www.kiwicare.co.nz/product/no-bugs-super/

grouch, Nov 28, 7:34pm
I have used rip cord which I have found good. I use it for flies, spiders etc. I do it once a year.

mcarky, Nov 28, 7:47pm
Dieldrin, now that was an effective pesticide. Been banned for about 50 years now.

rose-murray, Nov 29, 6:44am
Thanks maddie, I looked at this and thought it could be good. I think I will try it. Just can't stand the flies and the house is covered in webs (we live rural).

wine-o-clock, Nov 29, 7:11am
one would need multiple spray cans from the supermarket/mitre10 to do a house. Better off to hire an exterminator person who would be able to reach all the high and low places

mrfxit, Nov 29, 8:19am
2nd for Ripcord.
Expensive container but it's a concentrated spray.
Theres enough to do the entire house several times.

rose-murray, Nov 29, 8:42am
We use concentrates and ladders are good for getting into high places (although our house is a small cottage and isn't that high). Used to do it regularly years ago. Not a big deal so don't want to pay someone to do it.

grouch, Nov 29, 11:29am
I live rurally as well and the cobwebs are terrible if I don't spray. I just use a ladder. It's not hard. I am in my sixties and I manage.

rose-murray, Nov 29, 11:30am
Even the cars are covered in webs

wasgonna, Nov 29, 11:41am
Ripcord. Tried and trusted.

starseeker, Dec 1, 4:29pm
More poisons in the World! Can't you just live & let live? Anything which kills flies & spiders kills a lot of other things too, including the birds that eat the dead insects.

mrfxit, Dec 1, 5:07pm
Many years ago, I used to be very good friends with a lady living on her own in her own home.
She was a hard core friendly person that couldn't bring her self to kill any insects in or around the house.
The house was on tank water & the pipes rusted shut so she got me to clean out the water tank & clear the pipes.

Welllll THAT was entertaining & sickening.
There was whats left of the galv tin lid in the bottom of the concrete tank.
Several concrete blocks & lumps of wood
Several bird skeletons & about 6" of sludge in the tank that was above the outlet.
The roof only had a few flecks of red lead paint left & several of the galv/ iron gutters were rotten with another couple of dead birds in them.
Inside the house was smothered in cobwebs & plenty of debris in those old webs.

But that tank . was worth a good bit of stirring for a few years after that because her AND my (now) ex wife thought the water tasted good because it was tank water

Forgot to mention, she lived next to a maize plantation

wind.turbine, Dec 3, 9:32pm
Ripcord plus is not that great, better to get an exterminator in that will use the better, stranded ripcord that will keep insects away for longer.
Only thing is that joe blogs cant walk in and buy it as it is under the control of an approved handler so you need to get someone to do it for you.

kitkat66, Jan 27, 10:16am
And she probably never had a day off sick and lived into her nineties lol